Getting rid of ivy!!

john87

7 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Go on then . How does it ?

Prevents air and sunlight reaching the tree surface. Needless to say this pemanent dampness and lack of air does not help the tree one bit. Eventually it smothers the entire thing.. Bye bye tree..

Even i know that.. If a tree was designed to grow all covered up, you would see trees growing down mines.. Funny that, not many trees down mines..

Bit like ivy will cover the ground if you let it, to the exclusion of anything else..

In the summer i will take a photo of a tree well known to me. The bottom 2/3rds looks dead to be honest, with the remaining 20 or so feet looking great.. As the ivy spreads and spreads, more and more of the tree will succumb and that will be the end of it.. [only i will remove the ivy soon, that will sort it]

Terrible invasive stuff..

john..

1 hour ago, CambridgeJC said:

Hi Mick. It seems to me increasingly important by the day as the tree canopy is becoming shrouded in ivy locally to me and probably all over the uk. Unless addressed nationally it grows worse by the day. We could be watching a slow car crash and not realising it. All the information online seems to simply regurgitate prior comments of old that ivy is not any threat and does not address the current evolving situation. I have not even been able to get definitive details of the species of ivies involved. Without this level of detail it will remain an unknown threat and one which needs urgent consideration. I trust you agree?

The following image is all ivy in a local deciduous copse!!!

453A3630-2723-4C23-AAF3-6D194BCFFD36.jpeg

If you want to cut this ivy "threat", careful you don't damage the tree bark underneath. :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sutton said:

If you want to cut this ivy "threat", careful you don't damage the tree bark underneath. :)

Yep theres probably more damage done to nice trees by people cutting into them to kill the ivy than the actual damage caused by ivy

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, john87 said:

How can anyone say ivy does not harm trees?? Of course it does..

It competes with trees for resources and light, lower down.

It has done for millennia.
But it won’t kill a healthy tree, like I said, look at an ivy covered tree, it never engulfs the crown, it sits just beneath, how it knows I don’t know.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, john87 said:

Prevents air and sunlight reaching the tree surface. Needless to say this pemanent dampness and lack of air does not help the tree one bit. Eventually it smothers the entire thing.. Bye bye tree..

Even i know that.. If a tree was designed to grow all covered up, you would see trees growing down mines.. Funny that, not many trees down mines..

Bit like ivy will cover the ground if you let it, to the exclusion of anything else..

In the summer i will take a photo of a tree well known to me. The bottom 2/3rds looks dead to be honest, with the remaining 20 or so feet looking great.. As the ivy spreads and spreads, more and more of the tree will succumb and that will be the end of it.. [only i will remove the ivy soon, that will sort it]

Terrible invasive stuff..

john..

Maybe your tree has other issues thats making it look dead at the bottom 2/3rds,as Mick says it doesn,t kill healthy trees

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, john87 said:

If a tree was designed to grow all covered up, you would see trees growing down mines.. Funny that, not many trees down mines..

john..

Not much Ivy growing down the mines either .

• Like 5
  • Haha 1