Getting rid of ivy!!

john87

I thinks it doesn’t refer to ADB, more that ash has a thin crown.

Ivy doesn’t overwhelm the crowns of trees anyway, it stays just below in every case I’ve seen.

Ummm. Fair point.

We'll just have to wait for @JSN to clear this little confusion up then.

Other trees also have a thin crown I'd say, Birch for instance.

6 hours ago, john87 said:

Top and bottom of it is that ivy DOES kill and damage trees, and Cambridge JC is trying to investigate the spread of the stuff which seems to have upset the "treehugging" types.. You can GUARANTEE though, that they have not got 4 feet of brambles in THEIR own garden "because insects might like it" nor have they taken all the windows out of their house, as, "birds and bats might like to go in there"

Seem very strange to me that you cannot even let a rope rub on a tree, let along spike your way up it, lest you hurt the thing, but it is ok to let ivy strangle it to death??

Weird...

john..

You are a spectacularly ill informed.

The tree hugging sorts you speak of are (at least in my case) time served tree pros who have worked around and often in Ivy for many years, tree huggers we are not.

Ivy does not strangle a tree to death, otherwise there would be dead trees everywhere as   there is Ivy on trees everywhere.

What do you do John?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

You are a spectacularly ill informed.

The tree hugging sorts you speak of are (at least in my case) time served tree pros who have worked around and often in Ivy for many years, tree huggers we are not.

Ivy does not strangle a tree to death, otherwise there would be dead trees everywhere as   there is Ivy on trees everywhere.

What do you do John?

Please all calm down. To get things clear. None of those in this forum are tree huggers and noone is unhinged either. We can all learn from each other as we all have different backgrounds and experience. I have learned loads from you guys recently and want to learn more. I also have other sources of knowledge and can bring something to the discussion despite not being an arborist myself. 
May I ask a question about trees which attract ivy and those species which manage to avoid it here in the uk?

Maybe Mick can explain this as he does seem to know quita lot. 
Thanks to all. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CambridgeJC said:

May I ask a question about trees which attract ivy and those species which manage to avoid it here in the uk?

Maybe Mick can explain this as he does seem to know quita lot. 
Thanks to all. 

I always assumed , maybe wrongly , that it was just pot luck . Oh by the way Mick is calm 😁

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sutton said:

What type of arb are you, John? If you're domestic, municipal or utilities then from your perspective your view is understood. But going from that to all situations and circumstances?

If only I were so wise and definite :)

Hi there, I am not a "proper" arb at all, just a sort of amateur i suppose. I do my best to look after a badly neglected site of about 60 acres with many many trees, many of which are covered with ivy. It has been getting worse the last few years, so i will cut it all back when i have time..

Costs me a lot of time and my own money to do it, but some things are just worth doing!!

john..

3 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It’ll climb walls and buildings, fence posts and treated fences.

No trees are immune, none seem particularly attractive 

The real unanswered question is why doesn’t it overwhelm the crowns of living trees? Yet a dead tree gets engulfed.

How does it know?

I think it DOES overwhelm the crown sometimes.. I will try to take some photos where it has done so.. I presume the tree underneath is alive!!

john..