Medium harvesting saw recommendation

DocMustard

Morning all, 

Having gained access to a number of felled trees, I thought it is time to invest in a decent harvesting saw that:-

- can comfortably ring trunks that are up to 2' diameter in two cuts,

- is efficient with fuel (I have a Mitox CS64 which drinks like an old Volvo estate)

- can cut quickly (my MS181 isn't designed for harvesting and isn't a fast cutter in this application)

- is designed to be operated for 5-ish hours a couple of days a week for the next few months

- is quite light and maneouverable as some of the ground in the area is very uneven. 

Plus I want it to last a few years, be able to get spares and replacement chains (ideally of different types, chisel, semi, etc). I have set a budget of £500. This will likely become my firewood saw in the future. 

Thoughts were initially a Stihl MS261, 271 or 291 (engine in the approx. 50cc category, with an 18" bar), however these are stretching my budget limit. Yesterday I saw a Husky 450 at a good price, so have started looking at their models. Any recommendations/advice to help me navigate this maze? Thanks in advance. 

8 hours ago, DocMustard said:

Morning all, 

Having gained access to a number of felled trees, I thought it is time to invest in a decent harvesting saw that:-

- can comfortably ring trunks that are up to 2' diameter in two cuts,

- is efficient with fuel (I have a Mitox CS64 which drinks like an old Volvo estate)

- can cut quickly (my MS181 isn't designed for harvesting and isn't a fast cutter in this application)

- is designed to be operated for 5-ish hours a couple of days a week for the next few months

- is quite light and maneouverable as some of the ground in the area is very uneven. 

Plus I want it to last a few years, be able to get spares and replacement chains (ideally of different types, chisel, semi, etc). I have set a budget of £500. This will likely become my firewood saw in the future. 

Thoughts were initially a Stihl MS261, 271 or 291 (engine in the approx. 50cc category, with an 18" bar), however these are stretching my budget limit. Yesterday I saw a Husky 450 at a good price, so have started looking at their models. Any recommendations/advice to help me navigate this maze? Thanks in advance. 

9ABD7778-6FB4-4FAC-A28F-E3E724D2B5DC.thumb.jpeg.26b5326dbf67be582904db78c8640275.jpegOne of these as Stere said,they are great saws and would suit your needs 

• Like 1

Thanks Gentlemen, I will review your recommendations during my dinner hour today.

Update:- there is a Husky 555 on F R Jones for £7 over my budget, with an 18 inch bar fitted. I am tempted. Any experiences with this saw? 

Edited by DocMustard
Additional question
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, DocMustard said:

Thanks Gentlemen, I will review your recommendations during my dinner hour today.

Update:- there is a Husky 555 on F R Jones for £7 over my budget, with an 18 inch bar fitted. I am tempted. Any experiences with this saw? 

Think its a 560 without the " rev boost " .  Could be good especially as they should cover any warranty stuff .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DocMustard said:

I had one of those,good firewood saw

• Like 1