Ex MOD Leyland DAF thinking of buying,,

spuddog0507

Hi all been pondering on buying a bigger truck than a Cabstar for a while now, Been thinking of a Ex MOD Leyland DAF for a while now, i have done a bit of home work and things dont look to bad for me to purchase one with working in forestry, I went to look at the one below yesterday and OK its not new or looking pretty but its solid, its very very basic with no creature comforts and it wont break any land speed records, Ok it wants work on it and a tidy up but if i get stuck in it wont take long, it has a Boughton 5.5 tonne hydraulic winch fitted with 70 mtr cable all working, truck has done 38k, its gross weight is 11600kg and tare is around 6 tonne but that can be lowered as there can be some items removed from it, thinking of fitting a crane and grab on the on the arse end, and then probably a trailer behind it at some point,

So can anyone shed any light on a few issues ! and all comments will be welcome,

Registeration class

Taxation class

insurance

MOT

running costs

Vosa checks 

opporater liecence

and what ever anyone can think of !! 

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woody paul said:

You need to talk to someone how runs a large mog with trailer and  see how they stay with in the law. 

I know of several lads/companys who run unimogs and i dont think any of them are with in the law and fully legit, one lad  know who runs a iner city arb buissnes got caught with his Mog after some one ran in to it and plod attended, the case is still on going 3 yrs later and the organisations involved are VOSA, DVLA Customs and excise and his insurance company so far its cost him about 25k, so i need to get this right,

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, woody paul said:

He chanced his luck and is now paying then. 

This company run a mog don't think they are on here but someone may no. 

https://m.facebook.com/greenworx2016/

There is so many grey areas with Mogs, tractors and other odd ball trucks/tractors like this that at some point they will all be chancing it, he was just very unlucky on the day,

• Like 3

Are you looking at Withams or a private purchase?

We sell ex MOD Land Rovers, Military Vehicles, Earth Moving Plant in our online auctions, tenders and sales.

I often look at Withams stock list and wonder if I might buy something. 

I get the impression they are well established and will have plenty of experience on the legalities / technicalities of converting ex-mod to road registered. I very nearly went down the RB44 route but didn’t get much further than research. 

• Like 1