Gage tree

Gav73

Question

Hi all, after a little bit of advice, I planted a gage tree about 3 years ago, it’s grown very quickly and has never been trimmed. This time last year it was covered in blossom, which was quickly picked off by the local bullfinches.

This year every new bud has been pecked off by bullfinches and the blossom is only on a handful of very low twigs.

I’m thinking about taking some of the height out of the tree and I’ve read that this time of year is best to do it.

Any suggestions on how much to take off and anyone have any ideas to prevent further bullfinch damage?

I’m concerned that the bullfinches will move onto the plums, apples and pears planted in the same area.

Just now, Gav73 said:

Hi all, after a little bit of advice, I planted a gage tree about 3 years ago, it’s grown very quickly and has never been trimmed. This time last year it was covered in blossom, which was quickly picked off by the local bullfinches.

This year every new bud has been pecked off by bullfinches and the blossom is only on a handful of very low twigs.

I’m thinking about taking some of the height out of the tree and I’ve read that this time of year is best to do it.

Any suggestions on how much to take off and anyone have any ideas to prevent further bullfinch damage?

I’m concerned that the bullfinches will move onto the plums, apples and pears planted in the same area.

410. Shotgun. K

With plums of all types it's best to wait until they leaf out. That reduces the risk of silverleaf infection.

How big is it at the moment and why do you want to prune it? If it's not too big, the main pruning on plums is to remove dead and crossing branches and keep it open enough that the light gets in to the centre of the tree. There isn't really any need to prune more.

Bullfinches can be a problem. There isn't much you can do about it other than netting. They tend to go for plums as they are early flowering. By the time the pears and apples come out, there are other, more interesting things to go for.

Alec

With plums of all types it's best to wait until they leaf out. That reduces the risk of silverleaf infection.

How big is it at the moment and why do you want to prune it? If it's not too big, the main pruning on plums is to remove dead and crossing branches and keep it open enough that the light gets in to the centre of the tree. There isn't really any need to prune more.

Bullfinches can be a problem. There isn't much you can do about it other than netting. They tend to go for plums as they are early flowering. By the time the pears and apples come out, there are other, more interesting things to go for.

Alec

Thanks, there are loads of branches crossing over and they do need to be cleared because they’re rubbing. The overall height of the gage is approx 15’

Last year I had hardly any fruit on any of the trees, which was the complete opposite of the previous year and the only thing that was different was the gage blossoming for the first time - and the arrival of the bullfinches.

You could apply to natural England for a individual licence to control the bullfinches. 

if that fails you could put a net over the tree or hang some cds 💿 by some string in the trees to scare or try some rope bangers. or buy a decoy owl or hawk put it on a post round your trees that might work. 👍 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gary112 said:

I,d happily sacrifice the blossom and plums to have the Bullfinches in my garden,don,t see em too often here nowadays

Well, you know what to do. Plant yourself a greengage!

Alec