550xp mkii running on

stewmo

7 minutes ago, adw said:

As much as I am going to hate saying this but you should not use an impact gun to tighten the clutch, there is always a chance if you are too over zealous you can shear the flywheel key other side, stick to running up and knock the brake on a couple of times, ok I am ready for the flack.

No flack from me, if I use them at all, I only use impacts to undo bolts/screws on machines etc. Just too much risk in over torqueing with impacts in my view. 

Andrew, you are correct but have personally only found this on one specific model, the MS150 where the shearing of the flywheel is a real issue. I haven't found it on any other machine although I use a small 1/4" gun on most saws and keep the big banger for the larger ones.

I have seen it so accept your opinion and do use a socket and wrench on smaller saws;)

On 04/03/2021 at 21:13, adw said:

As much as I am going to hate saying this but you should not use an impact gun to tighten the clutch, there is always a chance if you are too over zealous you can shear the flywheel key other side, stick to running up and knock the brake on a couple of times, ok I am ready for the flack.

A lot or people sheared the key by slamming on the brake too, I would be using a torque wrench to the manufacturers spec.

There should be a bit of end float on the drum but it looks like you also have a bit of play in the bearing as when the drum is pushed in, you seem to have more clutch protruding on one side than the other.
Check the state of the pinion where it contacts the drum.

Thanks

Do you mean the bearing on the crankshaft?

I mean the drum will pull in and out on the crankshaft which is normal but wear in the shaft or bearing will allow the drum to wobble on the crankshaft like if you put a ball bearing under the centre of a dinner plate.....well how else do I explain what I mean:confused1: It will....wobble!

I mean the drum will pull in and out on the crankshaft which is normal but wear in the shaft or bearing will allow the drum to wobble on the crankshaft like if you put a ball bearing under the centre of a dinner plate.....well how else do I explain what I mean:confused1: It will....wobble!

Ok thanks, but as the clutch, clutch drum and needle bearing are all new?!!