Raise or reduce whats your beef?

Ian Flatters

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just to clarify this is a made up scenario like an examy type with no wrong answer thing, so if you want the client to be an blue alien or the base to be huge and made of gold that's OK.:001_tt2:

Dont start letting our imaginations running away or the thread will soon be off on an extreme tangent!!:biggrin:

Hmmmm now who would I like the customer to look like? I wonder.......

agree stevei as soon as it was said to be a eucy i would fell as they out grow nearly all locations and are costly to keep reducing ....although i have a few that i do ! .... reduce instead of thin and raise other wise i hate doing reductions on thinned tree's most people cant thin a tree with out lions tailing it it would seem..........so go for the reduction in the first place if fellings not an option!

I foolishly reduced a Euc in my father in laws garden 5 years ago.

The regrowth is now pushing 30 feet! (On top of original pruning points).

Crazy. Some species are so fast growing they have no place in a domestic garden IMO.

I personally find them really hard to reduce lightly, but they do reshape ok from a heavy handed approach i.e. mine.

Tom D's advice is spot on again, I reckon.

with the tree being a euc i would not bee to keen to reduce the tree by too much because they are prone to putting on prefuse regrowth so the heavyer the reduction the more re-growth and the lighter the reduction will be pointless because any re-growth will quickly shoot away making the light reduction slightly pointless and to be honest if your only taking a small amount of the tree be means of reduction then i dont see how it will allow that much more light into the property . as for crown lifting i think that a crown lifting can and is a very usefull tool if carried out corectly but too many people do not pay any attention to the trees species and how it will repond to the type of pruning that they are about to carry out .

As for Claus i seem to recall in a seminar i went to that he felt that its better to reduce a tree buy taking out several larger limbs/ branches leving fewer pruning wounds rather than pruning every branch back and creating lots and lots of small wounds that the tree will find harder to compartmentalise etc etc , has anyone oelts heard him talk about this ?

"As for Claus i seem to recall in a seminar i went to that he felt that its better to reduce a tree buy taking out several larger limbs/ branches leving fewer pruning wounds rather than pruning every branch back and creating lots and lots of small wounds that the tree will find harder to compartmentalise etc etc , has anyone oelts heard him talk about this ?"

I doubt it as one of his theories describes the interlocking effect supporting branches like a latticework, that would contradict his other comments and writting, and i cant see him doing that!

From my understanding of his teaching that would open up the canopy and increase the levering effect!

"As for Claus i seem to recall in a seminar i went to that he felt that its better to reduce a tree buy taking out several larger limbs/ branches leving fewer pruning wounds rather than pruning every branch back and creating lots and lots of small wounds that the tree will find harder to compartmentalise etc etc , has anyone oelts heard him talk about this ?"

I doubt it as one of his theories describes the interlocking effect supporting branches like a latticework, that would contradict his other comments and writting, and i cant see him doing that!

From my understanding of his teaching that would open up the canopy and increase the levering effect!

i guess it depends on the tree and the ammount that you are reducing , i probably have not explained it propperly , basicly it was along the lines that its better to leave fewer biger pruning cuts rather than leave lots and lots of smaller cuts . but then thinking about it i may be confusing it with shigo but im not totally sure :blushing::laugh1:

i guess it depends on the tree and the ammount that you are reducing , i probably have not explained it propperly , basicly it was along the lines that its better to leave fewer biger pruning cuts rather than leave lots and lots of smaller cuts . but then thinking about it i may be confusing it with shigo but im not totally sure :blushing::laugh1:

I think your confusing this with the Shigo "coalesence" where by on a trunk it would be far superior to remove one large limb than several small ones at various points around the trunk as the smaller cuts will tend to "coallese" and eventualy form a decay column that joins all the cuts together and makes the entire wood colum dysfunctional, rather than one big cut compartmentalising, and not progressing.