Evaporating Fuel / Aspen

Witterings

4 hours ago, doobin said:

I wasn't impressed with them. Tried to use them for dispensing things like TRF, gave up and bought a caustic rated pump in the end.

Way too slow a flow rate and I still got airlocks.

Airlocks not a problem as the 25L Aspen drums have breathers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've had the same problem as the OP this summer, I went to my suppliers to pick up a 5l container of aspen 4, i mix aspen 4 with stihl hp super, I ended up buying 2 of them, the store was melting with the heat from the day and the drums had ballooned slightly not a whole lot, when I got home I poured it into My stihl kombi can and low and behold it was shy of the 5l mark on the stihl container. The stihl container is accurate because previous 5l Aspen amounts were correct on the 5l mark.  I opened the second canister to top it up, had only just around 4.5 litres in it. I'll probably only have enough to make 4 litres of 2 mix next time. I put it down to evaporation. There's a good quality cap on those aspen containers how the hell does it leak out? 

Edited by Johnkv

When my mate ran a petrol station he’d often remark to me about the difference between the volume of petrol put in at the depot, and how that would shrink by a staggering amount on hot days when being put into his storage tanks, which of course he had to pay up front for.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2021 at 11:42, Aspen@AAOIL said:

Both regular petrol and Aspen will slowly evaporate in most sealed plastic containers (so your not going mad!)

if you left a full can of Aspen in your shed for 5 years, you could lose 1 litre of fuel to evaporation (if not kept cool) but the fuel left would still work fine (wont go stale like regular petrol)

fuel will also evaporate faster inside machinery as the tanks and carburetor vent to the atmosphere.

I would be very surprised however if you think you are losing more fuel to evaporation than you are to burning it in your machines but maybe you are using your chainsaw extremely little.

Putting your fuel in a sealed steel container would slow down the rate of evaporation and keeping it in a cooler place will also help reduce evaporation. In reality however, the 5L Aspen can is more than suitable and so would a stihl combican (although dont expect it to reduce evaporation)

Whilst its a bummer to lose fuel to evaporation, it would suck a lot more to have to throw away stale fuel or to pay for carburetor repairs caused by stale fuel

How does it evaporate if the lid is tight and sealed from the factory?

Edited by Johnkv

No container is completely airtight from a chemical point of view.

Take hydrogen as it's the smallest element on the periodic table it escapes through anything you contain it inside.

Helium weirdly even escapes into space!.