At work today

gary112

Thought I'd pop this up after Stubby mentioned the blue ones in the 361 thread.

Mate at work decided to have a punt on a Farmatec Holzfforma G466, an MS461 copy. First day out we were in windblow with a milling list.

Blue Thunder did all the cutting on I think 4 tanks Aspen and never missed a beat. A load away on the timber trailer and a small load left to pick up.

He's used the MS461 in forestry and says The Thunder didn't disappoint. Longevity will be interesting but for £250 he's happy for now. Additional cost for Stihl Bar/Full Chis Chain.

DSC_0223.thumb.JPG.6a738dd6353722b2cb7a9e96c500f322.JPG

DSC_0230.thumb.JPG.10b62825eedcccef1fba6861ff955615.JPG

DSC_0234.thumb.JPG.a25fc134dd38122282e798400ee2897d.JPG

DSC_0232.thumb.JPG.955cda0bb1872122b20631db22d3e1aa.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pah!  The 660 pros are all out of stock.  

It’s something when even counterfeit saw manufacturers are suffering supply chain disruption. 

Now my appendages will not get to be endangered by sub standard carbon fibre dipped saw parts.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, doobin said:

I’m not keen on mine. Lots of vibes and feels delicate. Ran it as a saw for the 36” for a few months then said ‘**************** it’ and got an ms881.

so if anyone wants a barely used blue thunder let me know. 

My mate said the same about vibes, he plans to put new av mounts on his. I was teasing him about the cost of his 'cheap saw' after he's replaced all the substandard parts with the proper Stihl version but for now he's smitten.

I don't know it'll last long anyway given what Dan said earlier, Stihl and Husky seem to get regular damage to chain brake handles while in the truck so if blue thunder is weak it'll show up quickly.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cutting timber for the splitting table and after this cut a stoat popped out the larger hole.

DSC_0293.thumb.JPG.905845992c68233e15a9a951e508c741.JPG

Closer inspection and there's a dead mouse at the entrance to a deep cavity leading to a nest with young in it. The cut was maybe 4m down the log already.

DSC_0292.thumb.JPG.013a02311d3912f7fd8649054b0aa5ea.JPG

Relocated the section over the track a few metres away and the mouse was gone later so we think mum has found them again.

They'll be left in peace now, only regret is not writing "Leave Stoatally Alone"

DSC_0289.thumb.JPG.18cdff083204da7af380d89d28089039.JPG

DSC_0290.thumb.JPG.f71b97aa9319cf5f2f16280c686f2185.JPG

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the railway today! Felling Willows, couple of them rigged down over the pedestrian bridge. Was interesting reversing the little Valtra Southbound on the line, but straightforward enough as there's been a line closure in place since 1969.

It was on a disused section called Stobs Station near Hawick which is a garden now. A quiet station in its day as it served a small hamlet but was heavily in use around the two world wars due to serving Stobs Army Camp.

Interesting place. In that Willow looking down on the bridge I couldn't help wondering about the thousands of young men that would've crossed it before going off to fight.

DSC_0307.thumb.JPG.4f73e0b5b90d3fa7d42a8c3b0da63ef3.JPG

IMG_20230518_135452.thumb.jpg.f9ae9b7f53492997706fce823a953970.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Had some sad news this afternoon when I heard that Mike Barrett (Gloucestershire) has passed away.

I worked down south for his business (then run by his nephew) for a while, and although he was "retired" he remained a big part of it. Such a kind man, I was offered the spare bedroom while I was there and he made my arbdog and I extremely welcome in the family home, not to mention filling my belly with a hearty meal each evening.

He started his Arb business 50yrs ago after learning sawmanship with the FC. He told me he was asked by a professor who was writing a book about softwood cones to travel the country climbing trees to collect specimen cones for him, and that gave him the bug for climbing. Went on to earn a great reputation in Arb, with many names in our industry (such as Roland Hemming) starting their career as his apprentice.

Far too many stories to mention, but a wonderful man who'll be sadly missed by many.

Thanks Mike, RIP.

• Sad 4