Log Pick tips for my lady

Cowmop

I use my cheap bison picks to roll logs out of the way when I'm cutting, i.e. use them a bit like a rake.

If I want to carry a log I tend to stand next to it and hit it with the pick, in a way that means if I miss the pick will carry on past my feet. If I try to pick up a log in front of me it's much harder.

It's not that easy to describe, have you looked for a suitable video?

My husband gave me one years ago and I managed to put it in my arm, still got the scar[emoji23] I was his human log deck on our first firewood processor, my job to shift 3 metre lengths onto the machine...thankfull for the day I bought a log deck

• Like 2

On 06/02/2021 at 08:06, Billhook said:

Next door neighbour, young lad who comes and helps on occasion, borrowed my short handled Stihl Pickaroon. (500g 35cm) and was very impressed but he looked at Arbtalk and saw this post by Vedhogger.

Vedhoggar

•  
  •  
  • 102 posts

Bought the Ochenkoff 1100mm Sappie 2 years ago and very strong/well made piece of kit, have also Stihl 400mm (50g) and 800mm hookaroom which aren't very well made, the point on the longer one snapped off first winter when moving frozen logs. Ochenkopf do a 380mm hand sappie as well which is just as well made. Clarkforest.com in Dumfries stock Ochenkopf (search under forest and garden then sappies & log picks), costs are 1100mm £75 ex vat and 380mm £28.50 ex vat, they also do a holder for the hand sappie.

So he went off and bought the Ochsenkopf but came around to show me how disappointed he was with it.
I have three Stihl versions and they are perfect in weight and balance and I have never sharpened them  but they grip the logs well, even with a light tap so they may be more suitable for a lady.
Side by side the two look identical, both appear to be well made but the Ochsenkopf just will not hang on to the log and  he has lost confidence in it fearing it will drop a log on his foot or worse.  He has played about with a grinder to reshape the tip but it has made no difference.  He is going to buy a Stihl which is about £10 cheaper.
Actually holding the Ochsenkopf it feels heavier and less well balanced in the hand, This also is strange as it says it weighs 450 grams and the handle is shorter at 32cm.
This obviously is the opposite experience of Vedhogger  and I do not know how to account for this
I also have the long handled Stihl but rarely use it except for dragging big logs.  Not a tool for ladies I would suggest.

I have the short stihl one and found it worked great till I ruined the point,and then hit it with a log splitter. Have the short husky one and that is pretty good, much more meaty handle though.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2021 at 08:06, Billhook said:

Next door neighbour, young lad who comes and helps on occasion, borrowed my short handled Stihl Pickaroon. (500g 35cm) and was very impressed but he looked at Arbtalk and saw this post by Vedhogger.

Vedhoggar

•  
  •  
  • 102 posts

Bought the Ochenkoff 1100mm Sappie 2 years ago and very strong/well made piece of kit, have also Stihl 400mm (50g) and 800mm hookaroom which aren't very well made, the point on the longer one snapped off first winter when moving frozen logs. Ochenkopf do a 380mm hand sappie as well which is just as well made. Clarkforest.com in Dumfries stock Ochenkopf (search under forest and garden then sappies & log picks), costs are 1100mm £75 ex vat and 380mm £28.50 ex vat, they also do a holder for the hand sappie.

So he went off and bought the Ochsenkopf but came around to show me how disappointed he was with it.
I have three Stihl versions and they are perfect in weight and balance and I have never sharpened them  but they grip the logs well, even with a light tap so they may be more suitable for a lady.
Side by side the two look identical, both appear to be well made but the Ochsenkopf just will not hang on to the log and  he has lost confidence in it fearing it will drop a log on his foot or worse.  He has played about with a grinder to reshape the tip but it has made no difference.  He is going to buy a Stihl which is about £10 cheaper.
Actually holding the Ochsenkopf it feels heavier and less well balanced in the hand, This also is strange as it says it weighs 450 grams and the handle is shorter at 32cm.
This obviously is the opposite experience of Vedhogger  and I do not know how to account for this
I also have the long handled Stihl but rarely use it except for dragging big logs.  Not a tool for ladies I would suggest.

Stihl hokeroons tip snapped off the longer one with 6 months on coming in contact with frozen wood and the wedges came out of shorter one, they are light as you say and grip well. Haven’t used to short Ochsenkopf so not in a position to comment it’s grip, we have a 1100mm Ochesenhopf which is not used to lift logs but to roll larger logs and is well made as is Ochesenhopf de-barking spade we have. It sounds like you are happy with your Stihl hookeroon which it what is important.

261C7987-B01D-4FF2-8048-8385C37CBD1C.jpeg

4F5012D8-8091-4A43-8B27-C6D245B0574E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Silverhooker said:

I like my log tongs better, the pickeroon aggravates my tennis elbow, if she isn't enjoying the pickeroon try log tongs instead.

I find tongs are safer to use when lifting larger/heavy rounds than pickeroons and if a problem with elbow or shoulder a better choice.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vedhoggar said:

Stihl hokeroons tip snapped off the longer one with 6 months on coming in contact with frozen wood and the wedges came out of shorter one, they are light as you say and grip well. Haven’t used to short Ochsenkopf so not in a position to comment it’s grip, we have a 1100mm Ochesenhopf which is not used to lift logs but to roll larger logs and is well made as is Ochesenhopf de-barking spade we have. It sounds like you are happy with your Stihl hookeroon which it what is important.

261C7987-B01D-4FF2-8048-8385C37CBD1C.jpeg

4F5012D8-8091-4A43-8B27-C6D245B0574E.jpeg

Perhaps some of these firms have started to go to China like everyone else, oops what have I said, will go and wash my mouth out with something strong!