Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Simeon

BS5837 refusal

Recommended Posts

Hi,

My local authority tree officer is threatening to refuse our planning application on the grounds that he doesn’t like the trees on site and wants them removed. These trees have been there for approximately 50 years, confer a maturity to the site and act as a bit of a landmark in an otherwise pretty bleak landscape. I will concede that they aren’t native, but they are in good health and I’d like them to be retained. Where do I stand??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Hi,

My local authority tree officer is threatening to refuse our planning application on the grounds that he doesn’t like the trees on site and wants them removed. These trees have been there for approximately 50 years, confer a maturity to the site and act as a bit of a landmark in an otherwise pretty bleak landscape. I will concede that they aren’t native, but they are in good health and I’d like them to be retained. Where do I stand??

More context please, pictures etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maritime location, tourism business and Corsican pine. As I said not native, but in these times of climate change, and whole scale Ash removal, then can we afford to be picky? The expansion of the site is not a problem, his beef is purely the species of tree.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Maritime location, tourism business and Corsican pine. As I said not native, but in these times of climate change, and whole scale Ash removal, then can we afford to be picky? The expansion of the site is not a problem, his beef is purely the species of tree.

No red needle blight ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you had a 5837  AIA submission?

 

Just go all in and post the planning app No and LA so we can have a look at the documents/ comments. 
 

If the trees are not in conflict with the design proposals, can’t say I’ve ever heard of a circumstance where an applicant is obliged to remove trees that they don’t want to - quite odd. 
 

Which area??

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rarely it can be stated by Planning that a site cannot be developed because the tress will not allow for adequate daylight. In effect not forcing removal (the Council never has the power to do that) but saying if you want permission the trees have to go. Species would not be an issue, but evergreen could be because of winter daylighting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultimately, the planning officer & the tree officer to a lesser extent will need to consider what might happen if the matter went to appeal; is their argument reasonable? does it carry any weight within the context of the planning priorities & policies? would an Inspector overturn the council's decision for refusal based on the tree officer's desire to remove trees? I think it likely. I would just stick to your guns and make sure that the trees are the only reason the council wishes to refuse the application.

 

Most planning officers would probably listen to the tree officer & then ignore them. Planning permission granted!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jon Heuch said:

Ultimately, the planning officer & the tree officer to a lesser extent will need to consider what might happen if the matter went to appeal; is their argument reasonable? does it carry any weight within the context of the planning priorities & policies? would an Inspector overturn the council's decision for refusal based on the tree officer's desire to remove trees? I think it likely. I would just stick to your guns and make sure that the trees are the only reason the council wishes to refuse the application.

 

Most planning officers would probably listen to the tree officer & then ignore them. Planning permission granted!

That’s sound advice and I appreciate the confirmation, it’s pretty much the route we’re pursuing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.