Friction Saver use

Cactusjack1993

Hi. 

I have a question in regards to a ring to ring friction Saver. Can someone explain to me what would be the reason for using it compared to just using a canopy in the tree to keep your rope secure? 

I'm currently reading Knots at work and going off the DdRT info and checking YouTube videos on the technique I've seen a lot of the arborists use a friction Saver. 

Thanks! 

6 minutes ago, htb said:

For starters kinder on the rope, kinder on the tree, kinder on your body.

Reduces sap on our ropes on resin prone trees.

More crap to drag round the tree.

Thanks makes total sense. So I would I assume its recommended to use one at all times when climbing a tree to keep my ropes in good order? 

I use an ART rope guide, one of the best pieces of kit money can buy for double rope climbing. You could get a cheaper standard ring to ring cambium saver but it’s the pulley for me that’s the main thing. The pulley makes long pulls almost effortless and you will certainly notice it when you don’t have it in. You still have to plan the route around the tree as friction can be generated from branches and limbs rubbing on your rope, unlike SRT where you are climbing the line. Yes it does protect the cambium of the tree and also your line. Also as others have said sap on your line can stop your hitch or mechanical devices operating properly, not so much of an issue if you use a cambium saver. You can also use it to spread the load across two smaller anchor points to allow you to anchor higher up or choke around the stem if there isn’t a natural crotch to use. Once I’ve installed mine I’ll use it all the way to the floor or when the timber gets to big for it to fit around (on a dismantle). Sure a rope guide isn’t cheap at nearly £200 upfront cost but divide that by five years and it’s just over £3 a month. For me well worth the cost.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JaySmith said:

I use an ART rope guide, one of the best pieces of kit money can buy for double rope climbing. You could get a cheaper standard ring to ring cambium saver but it’s the pulley for me that’s the main thing. The pulley makes long pulls almost effortless and you will certainly notice it when you don’t have it in. You still have to plan the route around the tree as friction can be generated from branches and limbs rubbing on your rope, unlike SRT where you are climbing the line. Yes it does protect the cambium of the tree and also your line. Also as others have said sap on your line can stop your hitch or mechanical devices operating properly, not so much of an issue if you use a cambium saver. You can also use it to spread the load across two smaller anchor points to allow you to anchor higher up or choke around the stem if there isn’t a natural crotch to use. Once I’ve installed mine I’ll use it all the way to the floor or when the timber gets to big for it to fit around (on a dismantle). Sure a rope guide isn’t cheap at nearly £200 upfront cost but divide that by five years and it’s just over £3 a month. For me well worth the cost.

Thanks Jay some really good info there! I have actually only recently purchased a tuefuelberger multisaver though I wish I seen your comment earlier as I checked the ART on YouTube and it looks like an amazing piece of kit! Something I will keep in mind to get my hands on in the near future. 

Thanks Jay some really good info there! I have actually only recently purchased a tuefuelberger multisaver though I wish I seen your comment earlier as I checked the ART on YouTube and it looks like an amazing piece of kit! Something I will keep in mind to get my hands on in the near future. 

I’ve seen some people who use a multi saver add a small micro pulley and karabiner to the system to effectively give you a rope guide so that would be a possibility. Never tried it myself as I’ve always had a rope guide but sure someone on here will have done so
  • Like 1

Just to prove it takes all sorts I have a multisaver, I've used a rope guide, and I prefer the multisaver. The main thing for me is to have a little bit of friction up top reduces the work the knot has to do and makes descending smoother.

I've also climbed on zigzag and pulley, I find it a bit on-off but I think this is partly because I'm quite heavy.

Another advantage of the multisaver is that you can set it long, this takes your moving rope away from the anchor point so it wraps around the stem as you move round the tree rather than rubbing.

I also have a standard fixed length ring to ring, haven't used it in years so that would definitely be a waste if you'd bought that.

• Like 1