The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

I have been reading the threads for a while on the wee chippers and am looking to get a good second hand m400 or m500 cant decide on which one as reading not much in them apart from the price.

I am in dorset but wont mind to travel to get a good one.

what do people think get m400 or m500 obviously is all down to the price but want to get it right and don't wasn't to buy again if its a wrong choice.

they look absolutely great for what I need as got no where to put a towable chipper at my place.ideal for getting round the back gardens which save the endless dragging.

cant wait to get one now.

I have been reading the threads for a while on the wee chippers and am looking to get a good second hand m400 or m500 cant decide on which one as reading not much in them apart from the price.

I am in dorset but wont mind to travel to get a good one.

what do people think get m400 or m500 obviously is all down to the price but want to get it right and don't wasn't to buy again if its a wrong choice.

they look absolutely great for what I need as got no where to put a towable chipper at my place.ideal for getting round the back gardens which save the endless dragging.

cant wait to get one now.

You may struggle with used as there are not many that come up for sale, there is a lot of difference between the models, larger hopper/indeed, larger engine, self propelled etc. The price difference is £2200, be careful as a lot of what is posted on here is incorrect.

I went for an M500 because it is self-propelled. Here in South Devon there is hardly a bit of flat land anywhere, particularly on my own property, and after renting a TW 75 one day I was buggered if I was going to manhandle something like that (or heavier!) every day.

Did not find one used so bought new. Am now figuring out (with help from forum members) how to secure it at night!

Bring it into the house. I couldn't leave a brand new wheelbarrow out in the wind and rain, let alone a JB M500, thousands of pounds worth just left out like that?!!!:confused1:

Showed your post to the missus. She said no! :confused1:

Seriously though, having had a look over my declared info I notice it is open to interpretation as it mentions "secured to ground while in storage" rather then "while in my garden" so I doubt I'll get any joy out of that clause if I have to claim.

Both quotes seem to exclude overnight storage in open, and both explicitly exclude wooden structures, which is a pain as my garden office is 45mm planks and more secure then the house!

Looks like I'll have to get my trowel out :thumbdown:

Seriously though, having had a look over my declared info I notice it is open to interpretation as it mentions "secured to ground while in storage" rather then "while in my garden" so I doubt I'll get any joy out of that clause if I have to claim.

Both quotes seem to exclude overnight storage in open, and both explicitly exclude wooden structures, which is a pain as my garden office is 45mm planks and more secure then the house!

I know its a bit of money but what about something like this?

FLAT PACK CONTAINERS FOR SALE 2m self assembly galvanised 25681 :: £915.00 :: 6ft to 10ft :: New :: CONTAINERS DIRECT

I'm Steve of Pragmasis and we manufacture ground anchors and chains etc and have supplied security stuff to various fellow arbtalk forum members in the past. FYI We also own a woodland site - Alvecote Wood - and are soon going to be in the market for a wee chipper ourselves :001_smile:

I'd say any chipper needs at least a 16mm chain secured to a proper ground anchor whether it's inside a brick or metal or wooden building, and especially if it's outside. Keeping it concealed is a good idea but don't expect it to go unnoticed for ever.

You've already seen that insurers naturally favour brick or metal structures over wood, but that is a bit of a generalisation as it is quite possible to have better security in a wooden shed than in a brick garage as an up 'n' over door is a massive security weakness! Talking to your insurer may reveal some intelligence there, or maybe not.

Beware the Mammoth concrete-in ground anchor you mentioned as I think you will find all anchors of that eye-bolt style are too small to take a decent (16mm) chain. We offer a thing called an Anti-Pinch Pin that can work as an adaptor in such situations, but you're usually better off getting an anchor that fits the chain you want to use, rather than having to muck about to work around something that is too small.

More info on: Sold Secure Approved & Police Approved Ground Anchors, Security Chains and more - Buy from the Manufacturer We supply the MoD, Police, and quite a lot of tree surgeons etc etc :biggrin:

Feel free to PM me if you want more. I don't want people to complain at me for being too sales-ey.