Chin straps on climbing helmets.

Mick Dempsey

For years I’ve used a normal forestry helmet when climbing (see my avatar) and never used a chinstrap, it fell off occasionally but the ear muffs were enough to keep it on nearly all the time.

I splashed out on a husky/petzl arborist job which I like immensely.

I immediately removed the chinstrap as 1. It’s a pita. 2. When getting a side swish (not swipe) I’d rather the helmet came off rather than the chinstrap holding it place so my neck gets a stretch.

Does everyone else keep the strap and use it all the time aloft?

• Like 1

I think they've changed the buckle design now with the new approvals for the situation you describe/having the helmet get caught. The protos helmets have the new type connector where it's a magnetic arm so that whatever stress is on it you can still open it which isn't possible with the old click type buckle. 

There must be a breakaway requirement with this stuff though? The chin strap is only really there to stop it falling off.

16 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

My nephew has the Protos, seems heavy, gets very warm and an earmuff is always falling off.

Would not buy personally.

I know a few with them, other than look at me they dont have anything unique plus the muffs are not that high of an snr 

I really like my Protos, not too warm as the vent system works well, bin the std ears and replace with decent ones, built in sunnies help when climbing and having to work into the sun. Visor is a little short compared to other lids. Tuck away ears when climbing into tangly trees are ace!
Only time i don’t wear it working is silky prune jobs where i have a petzl super light thing with no visor or ears on it.

1 minute ago, Dbikeguy said:

I really like my Protos, not too warm as the vent system works well, bin the std ears and replace with decent ones, built in sunnies help when climbing and having to work into the sun. Visor is a little short compared to other lids. Tuck away ears when climbing into tangly trees are ace!
Only time i don’t wear it working is silky prune jobs where i have a petzl super light thing with no visor or ears on it.

What are the ear muff options ? 

1 minute ago, Dbikeguy said:

What earmuffs did you replace with? And are they better at staying on?

For years I’ve used a normal forestry helmet when climbing (see my avatar) and never used a chinstrap, it fell off occasionally but the ear muffs were enough to keep it on nearly all the time.

I splashed out on a husky/petzl arborist job which I like immensely.

I immediately removed the chinstrap as 1. It’s a pita. 2. When getting a side swish (not swipe) I’d rather the helmet came off rather than the chinstrap holding it place so my neck gets a stretch.

Does everyone else keep the strap and use it all the time aloft?

I use the same lid. I also like it a lot. Personally I keep the chinstrap done Up when climbing. I always thought if I had a mishap up a tree and fell the lid would probably come off my bonce before I either hit the deck or the trunk.

Does yours have the gold coloured metal mesh visor. I quite like them. Easy to bend back into shape if they get squashed by other kit in the vans.