Chin straps on climbing helmets.

Mick Dempsey

7 hours ago, mtt.tr said:

Also how long do you get out of visors, id resent paying the money for a replacement

I got 3 years out of a visor. It's a decent visor too, and the way it flips up it isn't in the way as much. 

I was on the fence about the Protos for ages, even after I bought one. It's a good helmet though, and feels far more protective than any others on the market.

Not sure what people are doing to them for the muffs to be falling off all the time. It's only been an issue for me if I jammed it in a bag without stowing them away, which is rare. 

• Like 1

Ive always had Petzl Vertex and always clipped the chinstrap up in the internal webbing in the helmet, out of the way.

The new ones, with the detachable chinstrap are great!

One earmuff down is enough to Keep the lid on. I always find the strap (on other helmets too) prevents the earmuff sealing adequately, and i would quite like to preserve my hearing!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

One earmuff down is enough to Keep the lid on. I always find the strap (on other helmets too) prevents the earmuff sealing adequately, and i would quite like to preserve my hearing!

This annoys me because it's every helmet drives me nuts 

A proton has straps?  I have never noticed but it isnt my lid.

I borrow one on occasion when we need coms. No chinstrap on that lid.

Cant say I am a fan of the protos.  I get a hanging headache wearing it and the ear protection is gash.

I normally use a Petzl Alveo vent.  Both have chipper rated muffs.  Maybe it is just the difference between the two but I dont feel like there is much noise reduction with the protos muffs down.