Cable bracing and inspection qualifications?

Treerangers

At a previous firm I used to fit a fair bit of Cobra bracing and also inspect it for clients. I don’t have a specific qualification in bracing but would argue that I have the necessary experience and knowledge to install and inspect the systems as I’ve got 10 years experience as well as L4 diploma, PTI etc. I also did the AA workshop/course in bracing a few years back. It would come down to your experience and knowledge in terms of the bracing systems if a claim were to go against you.

NPTC now do an integrated course in bracing/props, may be worth a look if you do a lot of it

WWW.NPTC.ORG.UK

NPTC
  • Like 1

Hi all

I've been asked to inspect some Cobra bracing today and although we know what we are doing, I’m not qualified to inspect or re-brace the tree in question.

Is there a qual for bracing and if so, does it cover inspection of historic braces? 

Many thanks in advance

Ad

You may have it covered but if you are inspecting someone else’s work and giving an assessment/ report on it you will need to make sure the indemnity part of your policy covers you for such , they will most likely want that qualification evidenced for you to do such so the course sounds a must for you.

Soon as you put cable bracing in. Yr admitting failure potential. K

Bollocks.

Years ago, my then boss (in a completely different industry) told me that we weren't going to do anything to guard against a perfectly legitimate risk because that would make him liable for it, grumble grumble, law's an ass, etc etc. My sense of injustice was inflamed and I suspected that that wasn't really the law. Fast forward a few years, I spent a while reading thick books about the law and discovered that I was right; ignoring a potential problem until it's a real problem is, legally speaking, a shit move.

I've seen a few of your posts about the law on here and your understanding of it is fabulously bad.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lux said:

More acknowledgment and management of it. You already know the tree has a risk and you’re doing something about it.

It is. An its an intricate job , bit over yon here above. I am very reluctant to install if pruning or fell is more acceptable. It has its place. K

More acknowledgment and management of it. You already know the tree has a risk and you’re doing something about it.

Agreed. You are also admitting a fault by pruning the tree are you not? Don’t understand people’s fear of bracing. I have installed close to hundreds I would imagine (granted not all in this country) and they help protect, support and maintain the tree in its natural form.

Pruning then puts the tree in a state of constant cyclical pruning regimes which can be costly for the estate owner.

Each practise has its use but I don’t think that one should be used to replace the other.

To the OP. experience should be enough to ensure that you can competently inspect braces by others. Check components for wear and replace as necessary. You can go on the manufacturer’s website for guidance on inspections and lifespans etc.

Guidance is yearly ground inspections with a 5 yearly climbing inspection and be sure to check the angles of the ropes entering the stem.

Also, as stated before NPTC do a bracing qualification which I would assume also covers the inspections. Technically, if you can install, you can inspect I would say.

• Like 1

It is. An its an intricate job , bit over yon here above. I am very reluctant to install if pruning or fell is more acceptable. It has its place. K

It’s quite enjoyable to install I find.
It’s all down to every trees individual assessment. It can really mitigate invasive pruning for the right tree.

I did a lot of them this year off the back of a very comprehensive survey on a large site. It certainly managed and retained some prominent and worthy trees.

The project is still ongoing so no doubt will be doing more.

The first survey cost them £12k. Survey 2 starts in the new year .. ouch.

Good for me though [emoji106]
  • Like 1