346XP any common/known issues to look out for?

Chain-sore

1 minute ago, Chain-sore said:

I don't know much about these machines but they seem to have a bit of a cult following, I figure this can only be a good thing.

I'm going to have a look at one tomorrow as a possible replacement for an MS250.

Is there anything particular to this model to look out for?

990492504_Screenshotat2020-11-2920-42-54.thumb.png.f151bbd2a5f276e5eecc2a23573b3124.png

Screenshot at 2020-11-29 20-42-54.png

Fantastic saws never had any issues with any of mine

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stubby said:

...I think it should be made law that if you have one it should go to Spud for porting .  ?

Are they lacking as standard or do they just respond really well to it? I assume it would wipe the floor with the MS250 either way?

I've got a 365SP so don't need something else with lots of go but.. Gah, I'm getting carried away, haven't even looked at the thing yet!

I'll be sure to give it a good look over and bear in mind the top end.

I'll take a compression tester, what sort of numbers should I be expecting?

9 hours ago, Chain-sore said:

Are they lacking as standard or do they just respond really well to it? I assume it would wipe the floor with the MS250 either way?

I've got a 365SP so don't need something else with lots of go but.. Gah, I'm getting carried away, haven't even looked at the thing yet!

I'll be sure to give it a good look over and bear in mind the top end.

I'll take a compression tester, what sort of numbers should I be expecting?

No they are ok as standard but do respond well to porting . Spud ported mine years ago and it runs a 15" full chiz driven by an 8pin rim .

• Like 2

Well I didn't get it in the end. It was rougher than the pictures made it look. Although it'd just had a new base gasket fitted and a service by someone I trust I didn't like the Chinese top end it had fitted, thanks for the word on those htb. For £200 I'd want better to be honest.

I could see myself getting on with a nice example mind.

My advice is to get a nice clean ORIGINAL example. I often see some nice saws come in and some right wrecks. The wrecks may cost £100-150 less but in most cases will never be half the saw that the nice ones will be or last as long and if you are going to own this saw, look after it and it is going to earn you a living.....£150 ain't a lot of £££ on the grand scheme of things!

You are right to walk away from anything with a Cheap Chinese top end.

I have just resurrected a seized MS230 for resale, I was tempted by the £20 top ends but then came to my senses and fitted a quality Hyway. The OEM ones would have made it scrap, the cheap ones would have made it homeowner at best, the Hyway kits are pretty good and it is now fit for Pro or Homeowner use and will last a few years or more!

The typical eBay seller will be maximizing their profits and will fit the cheapest open port shyte kit they can find and not find the air leak that caused the original failure!!!

Edited by spudulike
  • Like 1