polly tunnel For storage ?

defenderjack

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't need to season for 4 years - we just like to have good stock in place for when the demand is there at the right price and then we can really go for it. I find it really hard work and am not prepared to break my back for peanuts. I would sooner keep it another year rather than muck it away.

I have a polytunnel - I have not got a barn but if we just used the poly tunnel for seasoning wood it wouldnt be big enough to cope. It is just right for finishing off stuff brought in from outside.

Once in finished lengths it is moved by machine in and out of the polytunnel so there is no more manual handling. Spud boxes and metal stillages are used so everything is off the floor.

Nothing has left the yard for less than £100 per cube this season.:thumbup:

They are easy to make yourself Dave, pallet + bit of livestock fencing stapled to bottom and cable tied together = cage!

I`m after something thats rigid. I am hoping to extend my Dutch Barn in spring and it is going to be very high from floor to ceiling and I was thinking about stacking in rigid containers to utilise more of the height.

We don't need to season for 4 years - we just like to have good stock in place for when the demand is there at the right price and then we can really go for it. I find it really hard work and am not prepared to break my back for peanuts. I would sooner keep it another year rather than muck it away.

I have a polytunnel - I have not got a barn but if we just used the poly tunnel for seasoning wood it wouldnt be big enough to cope. It is just right for finishing off stuff brought in from outside.

Once in finished lengths it is moved by machine in and out of the polytunnel so there is no more manual handling. Spud boxes and metal stillages are used so everything is off the floor.

Nothing has left the yard for less than £100 per cube this season.:thumbup:

£100 a cube well done mate . At those prices it makes it a viable business rather than just a side line or beer money . Problem is early in the season you are up against the benefit cheats and it takes some nerve to hold tight till now.

I`m after something thats rigid. I am hoping to extend my Dutch Barn in spring and it is going to be very high from floor to ceiling and I was thinking about stacking in rigid containers to utilise more of the height.

Have you thought of the new plastic potato boxes that have just come on to the market, in this weeks farmers weekly. they look very good but pricey

I've been using a polytunnel to dry wood and it's worked really well. Started off using builders bags but am now using the mesh vented ones.

I had crammed all the builders bags together and so the bottom logs got a bit mouldy..... but on the whole the system works well.

With these new mesh vented bags, sat on pallets with the doors open the wood will season in 12 months pefectly.

Can't rave about the mesh vented bags enough though..... little handling and they look built for the job. I'm sure the customers are going to love them!

:thumbup:

• 10 months later...