polly tunnel For storage ?

defenderjack

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you split by hand or use processor mate

by hand ! although i am seriously considering spending a bit of money to make life a little easyer, but to be qiute honest ive got in to a system now and try not to let things mount up so much that looks like a right ball ache .ive only really started to get into properly over the last couple of years and after getting rid of everything this year ive started to think about upping the anti , :thumbup1:i dont really keep track of how many tons ,cubic meters etc but this year ive done 73 level loads of a landy hi cap at 90 quid a time ! so im definatly looking to next year !

by hand ! although i am seriously considering spending a bit of money to make life a little easyer, but to be qiute honest ive got in to a system now and try not to let things mount up so much that looks like a right ball ache .ive only really started to get into properly over the last couple of years and after getting rid of everything this year ive started to think about upping the anti , :thumbup1:i dont really keep track of how many tons ,cubic meters etc but this year ive done 73 level loads of a landy hi cap at 90 quid a time ! so im definatly looking to next year !

73 loads by hand, thats some going my friend. I've done 42 loads with axe and saw this winter and my arms/shoulders twice as big as before and stomach half the size :thumbup:

3 pick up loads tomoro will shift the shite food i've stuffed in my face today!!

I use a poly tunnel with mesh sides and it still condensates but the water generally runs off down the sides rather than drop down onto the wood.

As others have said, if you put wet wood in it will go mouldy quickly unless the through draft is thorough. I also find that anything in a builders bag suffers unless it was absolutely dry when it went in. Even a seasoned log damp with rain will mould quickly if put into a builders bag in a poly tunnel

What we do is split into meter length billets and stack them outside on pallets, ends into wind with a folded tarp over the top to keep the worst of the weather off but still allow the wind to blow right through the stack.

Once seasoned for (2- 4) years we processs the billets into logs and store them in 1m3 crates which remain outside but are covered. This stock is then used to keep the polytunnel full (uncovering it when it goes in) and by using it in rotation we can ensure delivered wood is bone dry and charge accordingly. Many suppliers are far cheaper than us but people keep coming back for more.

73 loads by hand, thats some going my friend. I've done 42 loads with axe and saw this winter and my arms/shoulders twice as big as before and stomach half the size :thumbup:

3 pick up loads tomoro will shift the shite food i've stuffed in my face today!!

yeh its been a bit of a slog but but the end result is well satisfying !:thumbup1:i try and drag a couple of mates out to give us a hand on the odd day and it always supprises me how much you can get done when you just crack on go at it! i usually get a little fire going and slap a steak on for lunch ! steak ..mustard ... bread .. jobs a gd un :thumbup1:

yeh its been a bit of a slog but but the end result is well satisfying !:thumbup1:i try and drag a couple of mates out to give us a hand on the odd day and it always supprises me how much you can get done when you just crack on go at it! i usually get a little fire going and slap a steak on for lunch ! steak ..mustard ... bread .. jobs a gd un :thumbup1:

Oh yeah thats right up my street. I always get my little homemade stove going at lunch time, home made soup, steaks, toasty sandwiches oh yeah!! I try have my bro with me if i can or g/f helps as well. Get so much more done with another pair of hands.

5976554309ce6_Logging2010!!009.jpg.cb74cd13c95082f57e20b35a5203d6e7.jpg

Oh yeah thats right up my street. I always get my little homemade stove going at lunch time, home made soup, steaks, toasty sandwiches oh yeah!! I try have my bro with me if i can or g/f helps as well. Get so much more done with another pair of hands.

crackin! just about sums it up really ! :thumbup1:........although not to convinced on the look of your homemade soup :001_tongue:

Once seasoned for (2- 4) years we processs the billets into logs and store them in 1m3 crates which remain outside but are covered. This stock is then used to keep the polytunnel full (uncovering it when it goes in) and by using it in rotation we can ensure delivered wood is bone dry and charge accordingly. Many suppliers are far cheaper than us but people keep coming back for more.

I use a very similar system but just stack into drying sheds rather than a polytunnel. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd always assumed that the whole point of using polytunnels was to accelerate the drying process into a period of months rather than years (what do you need to season for 4 yrs?),

using one for final drying seems redundant - surely you can achieve that with a drafty barn or lean-to, why bother with an expensive polytunnel?:confused1: