Tip Of The Day

Lee Winger

Yes well, i have nothing to say on this subject other than if we need a new engine i will prob have to move bc up north. Everything seems to be against us at min. I had some terrible news about my horse today too. May have to get another job just to pay for everything at this rate :(

Yes well, i have nothing to say on this subject other than if we need a new engine i will prob have to move bc up north. Everything seems to be against us at min. I had some terrible news about my horse today too. May have to get another job just to pay for everything at this rate :(

Bummer:thumbsdown:

Hope your luck turns.

Did you cook the engine so it sized because it was running a chipper and no one was in the cab, or did it just go all of a sudden with clouds of steam and was turned off without it getting to hot, or is it just unsung water slowly?

Just because the head gasket has gone or the head is cracked doesn’t meant the rest of the engine isn’t ok! The OM352 & om366 are very popular engines (the latter more so now) & you can puck up used MB 814/817/914/917/1314/1317 with OM366 in of eBay for <£1500 or if you need a OM352 you can get them out of the old 1017 or 1617 trucks for less cash, however a reputable truck engine reconditioner will be well versed with both OM352 & 366.

If you buy a Mog from Atkinson Vos budget for a new engine after 7 months :)

my old man braught a u900 many years ago from him...first job it blew a piston out through the bonnet!

hope its an easy fix and nothing major for you guys:icon14:

Did you cook the engine so it sized because it was running a chipper and no one was in the cab, or did it just go all of a sudden with clouds of steam and was turned off without it getting to hot, or is it just unsung water slowly?

QUOTE]

Hiya mate. I was driving up a hill on a dual carriageway, the temp crept up a little higher than normal. When the hill levelled out and the temp didn't drop i slowed right down to stop at some traffic lights. That's when i noticed the steam from the exhaust.

I pulled over safely asap into a bustop and switched of, was advised against limping home so got recovered.

While waiting 3-4 hrs for recovery the chipper slowly dipped towards the floor. Just before the recovery wagon turned up i attempted to start her to lift the chipper and the engine was locked solid so i assumed it had hydraulic locked.

When we got back to our yard our mechanic filled the system up with water and we gingerly turned the engine over it fired and ran with bubbles of compression gas spewing out of the header tank.

There is emulsified oil on the oil filler cap, no signs of water in the oil on the dipstick.

She's been sitting for 4 days now and the mechanic is stripping it down tomorrow.

I'm hoping it's just the head gasket and the head isn't cracked.

However there has never been signs of emulsified oil inside the oil filler cap before.

Fingers crossed and apologises for de-railing the thread !