Looks like no more Makita Petrol Saws

Echo

It would be good if they made this clear, as a lot of people will be put off buying
that would otherwise buy a Dolmar, needs cleared up, maybe @shavey could contact
Dolmar and ask for a straight answer. 
Yes the saws have not changed much in 10 years, other than to keep up with the
emissions regulations, that says a lot abouth how well they were designed and built.
The 7900 and even the 7300 can still compete with the new Husqvarna 572, and for
40% less in price.

Are they really under £500 ? That is very cheap.

I have the Makita 18v top handle- saves using the Silky, just not as neat cutting for pruning. Also got the 36v top handle- only used it once other day but impressed with speed and power. Bit heavy when cutting horizontally, but for £200 i think its v good value. Also gone mainly cordless with the hedgecutters- for much lower vibes. Not quite got the power of petrol but job times similar and much better re carpal tunnel symptoms.  ?

• Like 1

It’s under £500 , take away the vat it’s irrelevant.
That is very cheap for a big saw. I don’t need one but I might buy one out of curiosity now [emoji23]
Are they on a par performance wise to say a 572 or 462 etc

3 hours ago, lux said:

It’s under £500 , take away the vat it’s irrelevant.
That is very cheap for a big saw. I don’t need one but I might buy one out of curiosity now emoji23.png
Are they on a par performance wise to say a 572 or 462 etc

Sorry, aye, I was thinking VAT to go on top of that for some reason... either way it is a bargain buy you will never regret.

Haven't used either of those saws you mention but the 7901 had the best power:weight ratio of any saw in its class when it was first released. I've a 6401 which was supposed to be one of the heaviest in its class, but it is a beauty. Run 28" on it doing firewood and it just sings (very tempted to get a 7901 pot though, just for the grin factor - or stick a big bore kit on it and get 84cc)

I have the Makita 18v top handle- saves using the Silky, just not as neat cutting for pruning. Also got the 36v top handle- only used it once other day but impressed with speed and power. Bit heavy when cutting horizontally, but for £200 i think its v good value. Also gone mainly cordless with the hedgecutters- for much lower vibes. Not quite got the power of petrol but job times similar and much better re carpal tunnel symptoms.  [emoji106]
Have you changed the 18v to 1/4" pitch? Absolutely worth doing, much better for pruning
Keep the 3/8 on the 36v for dismantling.

I haven't,  but i will do- thanks for the advice[emoji106] Does the sprocket need changing as well?
Definitely yes.

I bought sprocket from RobD at chainsawbars and Panther 8" bar which has been fine so far. The Panther chain doesn't have bumper depth gauges which I find a bit easier to work with than the Stihl 1/4 chain.

It's a rumour that a Stihl MS161 sprocket might fit, did an L&S order this week but forgot to put one on.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Definitely yes.

I bought sprocket from RobD at chainsawbars and Panther 8" bar which has been fine so far. The Panther chain doesn't have bumper depth gauges which I find a bit easier to work with than the Stihl 1/4 chain.

It's a rumour that a Stihl MS161 sprocket might fit, did an L&S order this week but forgot to put one on.

Cheers Dan?

Well, If there's to be no more nasty oil burners from Makita/Dolmar.. I'm just going to stock up on them when I can!

My fleet

IMG_20190226_164803985.thumb.jpg.e71800f1a932998494a57fe622354e2e.jpg

6401, 6800i and x2 520i

eBay purchase last week

IMG_20201111_163815_753.thumb.jpg.a42e7b906bb5e7939a86c3dde680f153.jpg

6800i. Needs a new piston and rings but is complete and in good condition, otherwise.

These turned up at my door today.

1468255351_IMG_20201114_225120_0062.thumb.jpg.2ba21c5bd0e2ca9a7ec179ea0c0175e0.jpg

x2 340 and x2 430i

Part of a bundle my neighbour bought - there were 2 Huskys with them which he wanted, these were basically free... All non runners, but both 430's will run with very little work and I can make 1 340 out of the 2 ?

• Like 3