Stihl ms881

Rough Hewn

There's a thing; the reason given we lost the bigger saws for a while was because the emission rates were lowered for saws over 50?cc. To meet even the sub 50cc emissions requirements the major players, Husqvarna and Stihl went down the route of stratified charge and electronic carburation, with Stihl going for crankcase fuel injection in the 500i, yet here we have a conventional saw that meets the higher standards?

It’s a strato? Engine apparently.
I’m told a layer of air above the fuel air mix means less fuel is wasted on the exhaust.
I’m no mechanic, I just use big saws everyday for cutting big wood, and I’m really quite taken by this saw. It’s very very different to an 880.
An 880 felt like an engine with handles on, the 881 is like the 500i/661 on steroids?[emoji106]
After extensive testing, the only recommendation I could make, was a bit of plastic near the throttle was a “bit sharp”.
Frankly it’s the best saw I’ve ever used.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

It’s a strato? Engine apparently.
I’m told a layer of air above the fuel air mix means less fuel is wasted on the exhaust.
I’m no mechanic, I just use big saws everyday for cutting big wood, and I’m really quite taken by this saw. It’s very very different to an 880.
An 880 felt like an engine with handles on, the 881 is like the 500i/661 on steroids?emoji106.png
After extensive testing, the only recommendation I could make, was a bit of plastic near the throttle was a “bit sharp”.
Frankly it’s the best saw I’ve ever used.
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Best saw you've ever used hey!!! Hmmm! I'll have to get me one as a covid lockdown present!! I do deserve it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Strato engines by their nature run hotter, and get heat soaked the longer they

run, its like when you press the trigger on a propane torch, you gets a lot of heat

when that oxygen gets injected, just saying, I like the non strato engine that can

meet the same emissions criteria.

Does anyone know if the 881 has a coating on the piston like the MS400.

I think that coating is Stihls answer to combat the heating caused by strato

charging, Husky are working on a Magnesium piston treated with a coating too,

I doubt that is a coincidence and more a response to the same problem, heat.

Edited by Echo