Jump to content
se7enthdevil

A beautiful little film.

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Khriss said:

Was the coal gas, for heating - vile stuff. Most smog came from that.  K

Bull.

 

The town gas works were mostly contaminated by the tars and phenolic compounds that dropped out of the retorts, the coke initially went off for industrial use and the CO, H2 and small amount of nitrogen was piped out and burned cleanly. Later the coke was reacted to CO and H2 in a swing process using superheated steam.

 

Smog was a combination of products of incomplete combustion of coal in open fires and sulphur burned to sulphates which reacted with NOx. It looked greeny and had a definite tang to it as it hung over the bomb sites in London

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A mere 6 years after the great war finished, you see wreaths still being placed at what I assume is a memorial.  A lady and her son stand there, I wonder if they lost there husband/father. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
But I bet the air was vile with the exhaust fumes from the vehicles of that era.

What horse farts???
That was the main transport then.
🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Bull.

 

The town gas works were mostly contaminated by the tars and phenolic compounds that dropped out of the retorts, the coke initially went off for industrial use and the CO, H2 and small amount of nitrogen was piped out and burned cleanly. Later the coke was reacted to CO and H2 in a swing process using superheated steam.

 

Smog was a combination of products of incomplete combustion of coal in open fires and sulphur burned to sulphates which reacted with NOx. It looked greeny and had a definite tang to it as it hung over the bomb sites in London

So you are older than you look then..... 😋  K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Timbermcpherson said:

A mere 6 years after the great war finished, you see wreaths still being placed at what I assume is a memorial.  A lady and her son stand there, I wonder if they lost there husband/father. 

 

that's the cenotaph. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Khriss said:

So you are older than you look then..... 😋  K

Do you know where the phrase " go and stick your head in the oven" derives from 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

Do you know where the phrase " go and stick your head in the oven" derives from 😋

If yr nearly hundred years old.... I would watch yr knees  😉 K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:


What horse farts???
That was the main transport then.
🤣emoji106.png

Civil engineers will tell you that if you dig up an old London street you can still smell horse piss. Gallons of it leeched into the cobbles every day for centuries. And imagine all the shit on a wet day.. 

It's true it doesn't damage your lungs but every age came with its own problems.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Khriss said:

If yr nearly hundred years old.... I would watch yr knees  😉 K

 

13 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Do you know where the phrase " go and stick your head in the oven" derives from 😋

Who died and made you Silvia Plath!  😉 K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Khriss said:

 

Who died and made you Silvia Plath!  😉 K

You googled that, poor girl, so did I. I'm glad that can't still happen as I have a depressive granddaughter.

 

Anyway I  have spent a few months thinking I was coming up to my three score and ten  but just realised I am the same age as @Stubby for a little while as we were born in different years.

 

Thinking back I don't recall any houses being heated by town gas, it was only used for cooking, and actually lighting in one farmhouse, in homes I visited.

 

My father would not countenance town gas in the house as one of his relatives had died of CO poisoning when rats gnawed through a lead gas pipe. He relented and changed to gas central heating soon after natural gas became available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.