Cold feet

Bomag

Ive always had cold feet, but this winter seems worse than previous years. Im now getting chill blains on my toes :thumbdown:

I usually wear two pairs of socks in my work boots (one thin pair, one thick pair) but it doesnt seem to be making any difference. My feet arent getting wet, just poor circulation I think.

Does anyone else suffer from this? What do you do to combat it?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Check the booys aren't too tight, as this squashes the air spaces in the socks reducing the insulation.

If you don't need a steel then get some quality hiking boots as I reckon the steel in the toecap draws heat away from your feet.

Or just work harder.:001_tt2:

I dont get painfully sore hands, cold yes, but thats it.

My boots (Elten Fellsman xpert) are fairly loose tbh, and dont feel like theyre pinching my feet.

I do only wear one pair of thinnish socks in my walking boots, maybe theyre the root of the problem :confused1:

Recently got some socks from Blacks on the High Street that have extra padding around the heel and toe, guy in the store said they are designed for builders and people on site as the steel in the boots can draw heat away. I wear a thin pair under these padded socks and they work like a dream for me, no more cold toes!

Look at the quality of your socks too. Thorlo do very good cold weather socks and very good cold weather lining socks also.

While you're checking that you could check the footbed material - remember this is what you're actually standing on all day - good quality footbeds, designed to insulate from the cold below, can make a huge difference.

Good luck.

Smartwool / Bridgedale mountaineering level wool is good stuff. I had the same problem many years ago but bizzarley it only lasted a year. I had cheapo boots with thin soles and had to jog on the spot between grafting to keep my feet warm. I was drinking massive amounts of cold water too - perhaps I was quenching my boilers. These days I'm the opposite. I would happily go and lunge naked in the snow because I'm always too hot! Even recently I hardly have the heating on and work in a t shirt!

When I did have those cold feet - it was misery.

Oregon Greens were awesome after those crap boots