Weekend Work Rate

Treespasser

6 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

One contract i have been asked to help out with is paying subbies time and a half and double time for the next 6 weeks to get the job finished,Hotel in cardiff and day rate is £20 an hour so some one looking to earn a deposit for a house and willing to put the hrs in can earn a lot of coin. Only ever seen this one time in 30 years

You've been in the joinery trade all these years and never been on a site Saturday mornings from 08:00-12:00 and got a full days money?

T'was standard issue when I did site work.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

You've been in the joinery trade all these years and never been on a site Saturday mornings from 08:00-12:00 and got a full days money?

T'was standard issue when I did site work.

Subbed since i was 19 eggs so never.You ever been paid that as a sub contractor ??

Edited by topchippyles

5 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Subbed since i was 19 eggs so never.You ever been paid that as a sub contractor ??

When I worked the sites almost every trade was freelance, Saturday was always bonus day. Start about 8ish and be away by 12:00, weighed n paid.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

When I worked the sites almost every trade was freelance, Saturday was always bonus day. Start about 8ish and be away by 12:00, weighed n paid.

Price work with me eggs mostly but i understand where you at mate.Normally on the books you see that 

3 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Price work with me eggs mostly but i understand where you at mate.Normally on the books you see that 

When I used to freelance on site the rules still stood, half a day Saturday for a full days money, in affect double time. Price work is totally different, if anyone is quoting price work they should be pricing in a better rate for weekends. Or they can join the race to the bottom.

• Like 2

The difference between opinions seems to be - if you are PAYE (or perhaps site subby) there’s an expectation of an uplift and I guess that’s a fair one if you’ve done a Mon-Fri, there ‘should’ be some incentive for giving up your weekend. 

If you’re SE or the company owner, it comes with the JD (but so does having a cheeky day off when you want one.)

Last time I did a contract which stipulated weekend work I whacked the price right up and passed it on to all of us that were on task. Client was SW Highways and they’d left it too late to argue. 

(It’s no wonder tax is so high with inefficiency like that...)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

When I used to freelance on site the rules still stood, half a day Saturday for a full days money, in affect double time. Price work is totally different, if anyone is quoting price work they should be pricing in a better rate for weekends. Or they can join the race to the bottom.

Eggs all my life i have made a shilling and you have worked with your bricky pal. Always saved a good job for a saturday which covers the day and then some for a few hrs.

8 hours ago, dannybhoy15 said:

A lot of people under selling themselves on here for a highly skilled & highly dangerous job. Driving the wages down for everyone else

I put a price in for all my work, I win some?, I loose some?, some of those I win are done on a Saturday to fit them in if the client is happy. How many jobs do you think I’ll win if I allow time and half for myself and two blokes? - probably none?. I’m not underselling myself or my blokes, I’m trying to be competitive. 
I don’t know how many “Arbs” are in your area but around here there’s quite a few from professional outfits to those that tarmac, pave, trim hedges, lopping and topping? they’re all competition. The other week I even lost a job to some power line weekend bush monkeys who the client asked when they were next door to him! They did the job for cash - you guessed it?- on the weekend. The only thing is they weren’t insured, they didn’t have a chipper?, and they left a mess when they didn’t come back?the following weekend! bloke begged me to clean it up and grind the stumps? it cost him more in the end. Realise that most power line Tree blokes are a professional bunch but the they have their “ bottom feeders!”

Were not all operating in Hampstead, Kensington, Notting Hill etc where we can charge divorce lawyer rates?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Somewhat amusing you're comparing Arb work with MacDonalds employee's and not another recognized trade like a Plumber, Sparkie or an Engineer. 

Do you think those employed in the 'trades' get Over time on the weekends? 

Can’t compare Arb rates with Plumbers and Sparkies cos they’re on double time all week?

6 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

I put a price in for all my work, I win some?, I loose some?, some of those I win are done on a Saturday to fit them in if the client is happy. How many jobs do you think I’ll win if I allow time and half for myself and two blokes? - probably none?. I’m not underselling myself or my blokes, I’m trying to be competitive. 
I don’t know how many “Arbs” are in your area but around here there’s quite a few from professional outfits to those that tarmac, pave, trim hedges, lopping and topping? they’re all competition. The other week I even lost a job to some power line weekend bush monkeys who the client asked when they were next door to him! They did the job for cash - you guessed it?- on the weekend. The only thing is they weren’t insured, they didn’t have a chipper?, and they left a mess when they didn’t come back?the following weekend! bloke begged me to clean it up and grind the stumps? it cost him more in the end. Realise that most power line Tree blokes are a professional bunch but the they have their “ bottom feeders!”

Were not all operating in Hampstead, Kensington, Notting Hill etc where we can charge divorce lawyer rates?

The bit about, "how many arbs are in your area" always makes me smile, It's a bit like buying a new car and then noticing there are loads of them about. How many drainage vans do you see about?, very few I would think?, yet in the village I live in there are three of us to my knowledge.