Some people! beech reduction, too much?

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

I don't think you'e done a bad job there personally.... You may have been better off taking the 'after' picture from the same angle and distance as the first one. The second pic makes the tree look smaller as is taken from a greater distance away....

It may be a bit more than is healthy for the tree but then most of the pruning we do rarely does the tree much good anyway does it?

At least you've thought about the job carefully, tried to balance the trees needs with the customers needs...

:001_rolleyes:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think thats a bad job really,yes it's a bit heavy for a beach but you kept a good shape and done it well with no tears or snapped cuts. i wouldnt worry about it, come next spring the punter will be happy.

You gotta get your head round the fact the customer is always right even when there wrong. They pay the bills after all! and your a contractor.

Got to be better than gettin the pikies in and toppin it with a spirit level across the top!

Didn’t say it was bad work Hamadryad, merely pointing out an apparent contradiction, in your working philosophy.

For the record - I agree with Geoff who said ‘yes it’s been fleeced, but done nicely’

You talk about retaining the phototrophic lower limbs in a couple of your posts (8 and 56). In post 56 you say “It is only those 2 or 3 phototrophic limbs that have very little growth on them”.

Phototrophic – An organism that manufactures its own food from inorganic substances using light for energy, Green plants, certain algae, and photosynthetic bacteria are phototrophs. (The American Heritage Science Dictionary).

I know you like big words but it is difficult to see what you mean. The whole tree is phototrophic. If you are saying the lower limbs had less growth on them due to lack of light, then why not just say so.

Contradiction and Excess Verbosity. What happened, did you swallow a dictionary ?

It is not my aim to wage a personal war on you, although it must seem that way. You have such potential to be a huge and valuable contributor to arbtalk and to the industry. Its blatantly clear to me that you are trying to be something that you are not. That is why you are falling out with everybody all the time. Just be yourself, calm down, chill out. Its also clear to me that theres a good, honest, nice person in there. I would also ask that you don’t come straight back and argue this last paragraph with me, just think about it for a while – then bite my head off if you like.

No nailer just knocking on a bit, so maybe I seen some things before. In Hamads 700 posts, Thats the picture I've got, I've been wondering whether to say it or not for a while. I myself could have been much more verbose in my making of this point, but I've tried to keep it simple. Its screaming at me that he wants Monkey D status in a hurry. I've tried to refrain from saying that, but now I've said it.

Its no coincidence that I have never posted nay pictures of reductions! Its just worht it, they are so subjective, there is right and there is wrong but there is such a massive gap in the middle where everybodies opinion will be different.

Ultimatly the relationship between customer and tree worker is vital, between customer and tree is next in line and the relationship between worker and tree is probably the least important with regard to making a living from this job.