Biggest bar on MS461 and MS261

Mike F

1 hour ago, The avantgardener said:

They mainly concentrate on a ‘sweep cut’ after boring out the heartwood from the front (gob), this allows you to fell a tree more than double the guide bar on the saw.

Also a Danish Cut and Dogs Tooth Cut if there is the right training material, boring in from both sides to meet Cleanly.

Also setting up a winch/ offset pulley to roll out or drag back a deliberately hung tree.

Dogs tooth I use all the time on leaning ash/beech grown tough and slow on the South Downs. Is the sweep cut the same as a letterbox cut? I’ll look up danish cut. 

2 minutes ago, doobin said:

Dogs tooth I use all the time on leaning ash/beech grown tough and slow on the South Downs. Is the sweep cut the same as a letterbox cut? I’ll look up danish cut. 

The sweep cut is when you bore from one side to form half of the hinge then sweep round the tree with the saw until you create an equal hinge on the other side, usually putting wedges in as you go. Boring the heartwood from the front (gob) is actually called a ‘key hole cut’ rather than ‘letterbox’  trying to keep as much of the hinge wood intact as possible, especially if the hinge is side loaded. The aim is to cut the heartwood that you couldn’t reach with the saw from the sweep cut and to prevent timber plucking.

• Like 2

On 02/09/2020 at 15:27, The avantgardener said:

They are different skill sets though. I know guys who are excellent aerial cutters/climbers, but I wouldn’t let them anywhere near a large tree clearfell or storm damaged site. A lot of guys just want to climb, they have no interest in forestry or ground based work so just won’t apply themselves to it.

Yes I agree they are slightly different skill sets but being competent with a saw on the ground first is a much safer way of doing it rather than just doing cs 30 31 then straight onto climbing. There is no escape route when your tied to the tree your felling! ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jmac said:

Yes I agree they are slightly different skill sets but being competent with a saw on the ground first is a much safer way of doing it rather than just doing cs 30 31 then straight onto climbing. There is no escape route when your tied to the tree your felling! ?

Cos yr 2Ropes are in the way an yr groundie on Facebook ?  K

• Haha 2

On 02/09/2020 at 15:18, jmac said:

Imo people shouldn't be allowed up a tree till they have mastered everything on the ground, and by that I mean have done windblow and large trees for a good while.

Sorting windblown out especilay mulitiple windblown is an art in its self and is in a diffrent league, there is so much to think about and if you dont read the situation right the result could be very very painful,

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Sorting windblown out especilay mulitiple windblown is an art in its self and is in a diffrent league, there is so much to think about and if you dont read the situation right the result could be very very painful,

Yup, mechanise as much as possible in my book. Very hard to read tension and careful gentle test cuts are a must.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2