The Lockdown Firewood Splitter

Billhook

2 hours ago, woody paul said:

Great stuff, there must be loads of stuff made in lock down. 

I use 1 of them remotes to work log splitter when loading with loader or crane. 

I’m slightly miffed that they seem to cost £11.45 now when I paid nearly £30 back in March from Harry Enfield’s “I saw you coming” or his mate!

• 4 months later...

Just had a bit of recalcitrant Elm wedge itself into the box wedge

Thought it would be a good idea to push it out with a bit of Two inch box steel.  The result shows both the strength of the ram and the strength of the Elm.  Peeled the box section back like peeling an orange!

C3AA6342-EF81-4647-BC82-B6A48D920A35.jpeg

2C88D88A-DDD9-4AF7-8318-2F0BF3E99EF1.jpeg

• 3 months later...

A few modifications during Lockdown 2021.  The log tilting exercise was a bit of fun to make and quite effective but in the real world here many trees are not straight and end up being cut into rounds on the ground although I do use a Woodchuck Peavey to keep the saw off the dirt

The drip feed oiler I replaced with a more positive hand pump which is not so wasteful 

I had an old small truck crane which will lift about a ton but unfortunately only has a single acting ram.  When I lift in unrestricted mode it creates the “Lockdown Log Lobber” which is fast but has little control .

I put a restrictor in the line but then it would only lower at a snails pace so the answer was to control it with a lever valve.  Not ideal but it works well enough.

The crane can also lift long logs or awkwardly shaped ones with the Wiltec grapple

The platform and grid fold up neatly for storage (photo 1)

Because it needed to be so long for the logs and was not necessary any more I cut a metre off the H girder to make the unit more compact and manoeuvrable 

The new log lift will lift enough rounds to fill a cubic metre of loose firewood in the box so two loads fill a box

Again I personally do not have to do any lifting, just rolling ( and reeling!) 

I ended up with a lot of crap in the boxes so I fitted some hay rake tines to let the bits fall to the ground before the box.  I should put a wheel barrow underneath but it is easier to scoop them all up afterwards with the forklift bucket.  They make excellent kindling

(photo4)

Lastly fitted a large spring to hold the log grabber down on the return stroke

96A02CB5-5ECD-4223-9683-FEA8CFF251BD.jpeg

B6E73510-A338-4F9A-9C47-80A51376ABEF.jpeg

6FD0BDC6-5AC4-4EC4-AEAE-E4ACCD4F522B.jpeg

7CCD6723-2A03-4A41-91EA-A6EE99B92EBA.jpeg

• Like 3