They took the 20% Tax out my cheque......Grrrr

Mac McLennan

First time I've had this in 11 years. Done some work on a building site and when the cheque came back it was 20% shy of what it should have been. I normally pay my own tax being self employed (not vat registered). Usually only provide my UTR number to the company I'm working for.

Problem is I got a guy in doing some stump grinding and will actually end up out of pocket on that payment which will be 20% less than I pay him.......Grrrrrrrrr

I'm gonna chase this up. Will let you know how I get on.

This is correct in my opinion. I work for a large construction company as a quantiy surveyor and all subcontractors under the new tax scheme using UTR are deducted 20% from the labour content of the contract. The compnay i work for ask for all invoices to be broken down in to labour and materials, this way tax is only taken from the labour.

Many people adjust invoices to suit themselves showing very little labour and lots of plant and materials to minimse tax taken. this is bending the rules but it is never questioned unless its blatent.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

On a slightly different theme / job, We had 20% deducted from a job that was general grounds maintenance with a bit of tree / hedge work, I thought at the time I had been stiffed, and am still not sure now, I only gave the company we subbed for my UTR ?

Right or wrongly deducted ?

as far as i know the UTR is all that is needed the Employer then phone s Inland revenue who then advise how much tax to take from you .if you are up to date with tax payments its 20% if not its 30% thats how i had it explained to me anyway

The UTR is all the employer need. The compnay i work for will/can not pay people with the UTR

On a slightly different theme / job, We had 20% deducted from a job that was general grounds maintenance with a bit of tree / hedge work, I thought at the time I had been stiffed, and am still not sure now, I only gave the company we subbed for my UTR ?

Right or wrongly deducted ?

If the work was to enable the construction to go ahead then wrightly, if not then it is still right if that is how the company pays its contractors.

You get it all knocked off you tax bill so there is little right or wrong about, if you work for a company that mostly pays via cis then you would expect to get paid the same way unless you've made a special agreement.

We would actually all be better off if we paid our self employed helpers via cis, that way they wouldn't have to justify there self employed ness, but as an industry tree surgoens don't have to register as employers under the scheme but we still get the tax deducted when workign for someone who has to register under the scheme.

Thats the crux of it, its not the work you do, its the work that the company you are working for does that make you have to accept the deducition, its to keep the contruction industry in line, not us.

Most self employed painters and chippies that I know would never pay any tax if it was lef tto them to organise. With CIS it gets paid by the company they work for and it is then up to them if they want ot keep genuine books and claim some back at the end of the year. Many don't bother!

When I came across CIS I phoned up the CIS office and everything Rupe is saying is what they said, pretty much word for word.

Sorry to cross swords with you on our first meeting SWB, but Rupes right and your'e not so right mate. Perhaps you had too many chocky treats today and the sugar is having its effect. Smiley.

no chance, its your money, call them up, give them a signed letter saying you pay your own tax and it isnt there responsibility, and you want your money. Thats what i have always done. I dont pay 20% tax on my turnover so why should they take it off me?

Its the way the construction side of things is going mate, Thats what happens now :001_smile: