Spikes

RobRainford

Hey guys.

The time has come that I need to do some spiking. The tree of choice is a pine which has had a bit of wind damage at the top and the only way to access the top to free the lump of wood left there is to spike it.

My main question is what are the best comfy but good value spikes to buy. If I could I would try and afford the bling bling carbon fibre ones but it's not my money that's buying them. So cheap as possible but still good for comfort. Also, long or short gaffs?

Cheers

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short gaffs, second hand is the way to go. Buckingham, bashlin, I picked up mine for £75 of fleebay. Then upgraded to metal insert pads for about £100.

Or just go straight in at £190 ish and get some lovely new ali geckos with velcro and lovely padding:thumbup1:

Looking around at hb, gustharts and at treeworker. The lowest price seems to be around 164 which was on gustharts. They were for the steel bashlins. I saw these on treeworker

Climbing Spurs - Treeworker.co.uk

the ones that caught my eye were the aluminium ones. For an extra £26 I could get something that is lighter and possibly comfier. eBay had little on offer and not that many were good prices for what you were getting IMO.

What are your opinions on the ally gecko ones?