Milling Saws - Alternative makes..

Quickthorn

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever you go for, it needs to be at least 100cc really, or the size you can mill will be very restricted. If i run the 48" bar with the alaskan i can just about get a 39" cut, maybe a bit more if i were to remove the felling dogs, which TBH is a little more than is commonly required. However, if i were to run a smaller saw, such as a 100cc saw, i wouldnt expect it to cope with more than a 36" bar, leading to a max cut of 27". This in itself isnt a problem, as thats a pretty common size log, but it means you are restricted, and the saw would be running at its limit all the time. I honestly thing you would be better getting the biggest set up you can from the outset to give you maximum flexibility.

Having said that, with lots of turning and thought, it is possible to attack logs of greater diameter than bar length, its just that i find the hassle of setting everything up every time you roll the log makes this a TOTAL pain, and in my opinion it is just TOO time consuming.

I suppose my attitude would be that by the time you buy a 100cc saw, and the mill etc, you might as well spend that little bit extra and get the big boys. I would also be slightly wary of 2nd hand machines for this application, as it can be very wearing on the saw.

You got a link, as i have just looked for 880 and 088 stihls and found nowt:confused1:

STIHL MS 880 / VERY LITTLE USE / 36 INCH BAR on eBay (end time 17-Jan-10 22:09:24 GMT)

ill have a look for the other now

EDIT-cant see the other one now, Maybe its been took off for some reason, It had no bids with a start price of £500 but its disapeard

Edited by Mozza