Another mog for swb

niftysteve

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A friend of mine, Ken Day is a mobile Mog mechanic, he showed me a picture of an AV supplied mog that when he put the lifting ram on and tipped the cab up, the cab carried on going and landed in a crumpled mess on the floor in front of the machine, with the floor panel still attached to the end of his ram:sneaky2:

The ram only tips the cab to the point of balance, a small push with ones hand takes the cab over the point of balance in the elongated eye in the lifting ram, however you are supposed to use a steel rope to stop the cab from going right the way over in case the cab lifting point in the floor fails, the details of this wire-ropes length etc are in ALL MBU/SBU workshop manuals and it is up to the user of whichever cab tilting method you employ to make this wire-rope up to stop the cab going over! You then have the cab prop that goes between the O/S front cab mount (chassis) and the O/S rear cab mount (cab) which allows you to work around the engine etc safely.

Either way I find it hard to believe a cab would have gone over had all the listed safety methods been employed given there is considerable upward & forward load on the cab floor lifting point during initial lifting but only a very light load either pushing or pulling on the cab floor lifting when fully raised at the point of balance – literally you can move the cab either side of the point of balance in the rams elongated eye with 1 hand and minimal force.

So wile its easy to blame AV and the great unwashed will buy the excuse based on AV’s reputation ;) it's really down to the person razing the cab to assess its structural integrity and employ the listed & unlisted methods of supporting the cab and prevention of it going over due to any single failure given multiple methods of redundancy :001_rolleyes:

Mind you what do I know.

Mark I take your point regarding the cab going over, but how can you tell the condition of the wing reinforcing if someone has filled and painted the wings??

I have seen what look like good wings crumple once the cab starts being tipped.

There are 2 parts to the wings which act as cab pivot point, there is the inner wing and the outer wing.

The best side to see this is the N/S wing inner and outer, you can pull the “fome” or rubber seal out which sits between the inner and outer wings and put your fingers between or visually see ware filler is on the inside of the outer wing, this void space is why the wings rust as the fome/rubber seal stops the washing out of salt or the spraying of oils in this void space :001_rolleyes:

Anyway genuine MB outer wings are only £107 each and inner wings £234 as of 10 mins ago. ;)

Image1.jpg.bc8ca968ff106a98f5803d3448dd24f6.jpg