Small electric saw

benedmonds

How long do the batteries hold their charge? Thinking of getting one to keep in the car for when quoting. I don't  often work on the tools any more but occasionally I have a 5 min job or call out that I could easily do if I had a saw with me and it works out expensive for me to send a team..

I carry a silky already..

6 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

How long do the batteries hold their charge? Thinking of getting one to keep in the car for when quoting. I don't  often work on the tools any more but occasionally I have a 5 min job or call out that I could easily do if I had a saw with me and it works out expensive for me to send a team..

I carry a silky already..

Makita batteries last weeks/months if not plugged in. And you can get a car charger...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SimpleSimon said:

In theory Lithium batteries should hold charge more or less forever. I've never come across one that was put away charged and had any noticeable loss next time I came to use it. 

I'm not a battery person but my battery drills used to be NiCad and NiMH and we're invariably 'flat' when left for any length of time (Makita, Bosch bought new and not cheap crap). Converted to Li-Ion and wot-d-ye-no always ready to use and much lighter to boot. Much impressed by this battery type.  

4 hours ago, bmp01 said:

I'm not a battery person but my battery drills used to be NiCad and NiMH and we're invariably 'flat' when left for any length of time (Makita, Bosch bought new and not cheap crap). Converted to Li-Ion and wot-d-ye-no always ready to use and much lighter to boot. Much impressed by this battery type.  

I think that also they don't have a memory . So you can run them right out and recharge or, re charge anywhere in between .

On 28/05/2020 at 11:42, SimpleSimon said:

In theory Lithium batteries should hold charge more or less forever. I've never come across one that was put away charged and had any noticeable loss next time I came to use it. 

They will hold charge but leaving them fully charged over extended periods of time they build up internal resistance and it destroys the battery. For long life they're best off storing at 1/2 charge and they're always shipped like that as they've no idea how long they'll sit in a warehouse / shop for.