Oak prices

Alderley logs

8 minutes ago, ESS said:

Oak actually goes at around 25 cubic ft per tonne.

What does that lean to a layman like me? 

25 x f3 per ton? So if I pay £2.50 a f3 then Im really should be paying 25 x £2.50 for a ton? So £62.50? Does not seem to work out?

The Haulier Ive recently  been put in contact with (cheers @Big J )wants £125 a ton for Milling Grade Logs. 

Oak is generally 26-28 hoppus foot per tonne. 

£2.50/hf is low. £125/t is also low, but demand might be different in Scotland to here. In Southern England, the glut of ash on the market means a lot of oak that would ordinarily be cut hasn't been cut, and there is a shortage. £200/t or £7-8/hf is more typical down here at present.

5 minutes ago, Big J said:

2.50/hf is low. £125/t is also low

Thank you for the contact. :D 

5 minutes ago, Big J said:

demand might be different in Scotland to here.

It seems like the wagons all head south.  I'll assume you know Ken Barclay? Seems like he sells most of his prime Oak over the boarder. 

Just now, trigger_andy said:

Thank you for the contact. :D 

It seems like the wagons all head south.  I'll assume you know Ken Barclay? Seems like he sells most of his prime Oak over the boarder. 

Not actually heard of him

Apart from a few niche parts of the market, Scottish oak is generally of poor quality. It's characterful, and in a few places it'll grow with quality and character, but most of it is just riddled with tension, brown rot and poor form. In service, it's pretty (if you can get it to behave), but it's so much less attractive than elm that I just never warmed to it.

Just now, Big J said:

Not actually heard of him

Thats very odd. Hes very big in the Angus Area, Id say the biggest. Him (70's) and his son (50's) are at all the auctions but dont spend a bloody penny. :D  Dressed in rags but both millionaires (supposedly) and still live in little cottages. If you want a full load of Oak he's your man. My Oak Framer mate gets his supply though him. But rarely does it stay in Scotland, for some reason the Guffies want our 'worthless' Scottish Oak. :D 

Maybe because Im a hobby Miller and have milled less that 40T of Angus Oak, but Ive rarely come across the issues you mention. Maybe Angus is not just Bridies and Steak? :D  We're the secret gold mine of Slow Growth Scottish Oak? 

Just as well really, i have a few more Sandpit projects needing built. :D 

• Like 1

Right ok, the whole pile and all the knarly stuff. Someone is interested in buying it and snatched my hand off at £40 per ft3, was thinking I didn’t charge enough, by the sounds of what your saying its to much.

From the photos...
It's firewood.
Nasty stuff too.
You'd have to pay me to take it away.
You won't get £40 per cubic foot.
No one is that stupid.
£40 a cubic metre you're still onto a winner.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Alderley logs said:

Right ok, the whole pile and all the knarly stuff. Someone is interested in buying it and snatched my hand off at £40 per ft3, was thinking I didn’t charge enough, by the sounds of what your saying its to much.

British,been down about 4 years, air dried and standing i guess, your right with the i guess anyway,Been down 4 years but still standing ? Some one needs to learn, how and what to cut logs at, that is just a pile of firewood that is cut in random lengths, i would put it in the arb waste class £25-30 tonne max delivered, but good on you for getting such a high price for it you have done well, Its the most expensive timber i have seen and been in the game 40 yrs, Some of the older lads on here will know about Addmiltary Oak which is oak that was planted in the 17/1800s for ship building and was extensively managed over generations, Not many of these trees left now in the UK, these trees demand a very high price like £350 tonne roadside, but where can you buy 50ft gun barrel straight clean top notch English oak logs these days, your price is as Andy says £1600 tonne, get the deal done ASAP and this time next year Rodders you will be a Millionair,

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Some of the older lads on here will know about Addmiltary Oak which is oak that was planted in the 17/1800s for ship building and was extensively managed over generations, Not many of these trees left now in the UK

Is there still any?

Seems like a crime to sell for so little when you consider the history involved. 

8 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Is there still any?

Seems like a crime to sell for so little when you consider the history involved. 

We have 28 to take down which is the last of a 5 acre stand, they should of come down in Jan but ground conditions where shit back then and we need a crane on site to load em, Average DBH i think was 42" and cutting spec was 42ft and 36ft with min top dia 20" and some smaller log of top and a bit of firewood, Outstanding looking trees and a shame to remove really but nothing lasts forever, i dont expect to see any more of these trees either, and to give credit where its due they have planted the site with Oak again,

• Like 3
  • Sad 1