Sole trader to Ltd

Doug Blease

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

put aside the finer details for a second, if you are always skint, in overdraft and spend money before you get it, DONT go ltd, if you are good at saving, can afford to keep a good bank balance while taking a small wage then ltd is going to suit you. if your profit is over 25k then there is a little loop hole that can make it worth while, BUT dont think an accountant is trying to make life easier for you, not saying he is a rogue, but he will certainly charge more for the service. As far as claiming stuff back, you can claim 100% of everything its not until you have to prove WHY that the problems begin, And going back to vat, if you go vat registered you can claim back 3 years of vat on assets.:001_smile:

If the majority of your customers are VAT registered (ie not domestic) then register for VAT voluntarily. You should be able to get on what is called the Flat Rate Scheme where you charge VAT at the normal rate (17.5%) but pay the VAT man and agreed percentage that encompasses any VAT that you would have claimed back if you operated VAT "normally". I charge 17.5% and pay 10%!!!!!!!! Nice little earner and simple, as I dont have to keep any records or receipts for VAT being claimed back. Check out the flat rate scheme on the HMRC web site and you can self assess the rate you pay the VAT man:biggrin::biggrin:

You pay 10% of turnover not the VAT you have collected, BIG difference, if you sell lots of firewood at 5%, and you can only claim back VAT on capital purchases over £2K

I'm on the flat rate scheme and save around £800 a year and as you say its easer.

Edited by skyhuck

Taken from the HMRC website:

''You can generally reclaim VAT on goods you bought up to three years before you registered for VAT, and services you bought up to six months before you registered. Remember too that you may be able to backdate your VAT registration by up to three years.''

Could be handy for someone about to register for getting VAT back on saws, vehicles etc.

I went LTD last year, still not reached end of first years trading. I think you can end up paying MORE tax as a LTD Co if you dont make enough profit as you can only take dividends out of a real profit, if you only make 10K profit the max dividend you can take is 10k less corporation tax...I think. Ask your accountant to explain this to you.

I went limited partly for tax reasons but also for the respectability it gives when going for bigger contracts. I will probably pay a similar amount of tax as before. Of course as the business grows It will pay off more and more.

You cant claim back VAT for 5 years by going Ltd.

When your turnover reaches the VAT threshold, your accountant should flag you up for VAT registration. After registration you can claim back VAT on all purchases for up to 6 months before the date of registration.

thats not entirely accurate. its 6 months for services...but for capital purchases you can claim back 2 years...maybe 3, but im pretty sure its 2

thats not entirely accurate. its 6 months for services...but for capital purchases you can claim back 2 years...maybe 3, but im pretty sure its 2

Yep, we're both right (kindof)

You can generally reclaim VAT on goods you bought up to three years before you registered for VAT, and services you bought up to six months before you registered. Remember too that you may be able to backdate your VAT registration by up to three years.

That's what it says on the HMRC site.