Bug id?

gary112

Other way round I think to be pedantic!

Cardinal beetle has red everything unless it's a Black-headed cardinal beetle; and they look very like Lily beetles!

So have you been squashing Cardinal beetles AJS?!  ?

Edited by nepia
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, nepia said:

Other way round I think to be pedantic!

Cardinal beetle has red everything unless it's a Black-headed cardinal beetle; and they look very like Lily beetles!

So have you been squashing Cardinal beetles AJS?!  ?

I agree with that - Lily has a black head. Below are pictures of the 2 Cardinals and then one (which is really similar but) I believe it to be an Oak Longhorn, Pyrrhidium Sanguineum, (sorry phone photos !).  The Lily tend to be a lot rounder both in terms of size and shape of the wing cases - I'll try to find a photo later.  Not sure but it might be a bit early for Lily beetles???

Btw by far the most obvious way of telling them apart is at the larval stage : The Lily larvae are on Lilies (obv.), leeks or onions and are basically a ball of crap (within which is the larva) whilst the Cardinals are flat and found under the bark of recently dead trees (1-2 yrs).  Final photo taken yesterday was exactly this (whilst moving an old Poplar log). You can see the little area each one has cut in order to pupate - which is what the odd looking things at the top are. The longhorn larva are totally different.  

Shame I disturbed them.  I  

20200419_130434.jpg

20200424_123058.jpg

20200321_140734.jpg

20200424_121320.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

A moth hiding ?

Excellent.  Its a Bagworm (moth).  Almost certainly female, wingless and never leaves the 'bag' apparently.  I had never even heard of them before yesterday let alone seen one, so all credit to you.  Below is the photo taken a couple of minutes later once it poked its head out.  Reminded me of Caddis fly larva that we would find in little brooks and streams in our youth. Enjoy your weekend.

IMG_6573.JPG

• Thanks 1