Buying used diesel tank...

IronMike

Morning all. 

I'm in the market for a red diesel tank to allow me to buy in bulk. I'm fed up of going to the local filling station for red, and would much rather have my ow tank. There is a fella not far from me here selling a variety of different tanks, all of them I'd say are very much used. Some are road tow, some are static. Ideally I'd like a static one, but I am not afraid to get a road tow and ditch the trailer chassis. 

I'm usually pretty good at buying stuff second hand, and trust my instincts. But is there anything I need to be wary of when buying a fuel tank? I am looking into maybe getting the eventual purchase cleaned professionally so I know there will be minimum risk of contamination of the fuel I put in. Some of the ones for sale locally have a manual pump, would folk think this will suffice for a relatively small user like myself or should I save myself the hassle and get an electric pump? 

Thoughts as always, most appreciated folks! 

I would only consider plastic tanks myself. Steel rusts and you have no idea how much water has been in a used tank and for how long. Water will always be in there just from condensation and will always sit at the bottom of the tank. 

Bunded tanks are a good idea in principle but there is no way of inspecting the inner tank. Single skin and build a bund is a better solution imo.

As for manual pumps, it is what I have and quite happy with it. Hi-flow pump and does one litre for one revolution. Standard manual pumps are fine of course. The other option usually taken is put the tank on a stand and use gravity.

I thought the same as iMac the welder down the road makes them and sure it's a plastic inside.

Only thing I'd be aware off is security, I have heard of farms were they lock all the valves and they have stuck a bale spike throu the tank bottom, but also heard of them leaving tank unlocked so they don't spike the bottom and they take wot they want and wedge the nozzle open out of pure badness.

Have even heard off the farmers then being chased by sepa for polluting the burn.

U really couldnae make it up.

Can u buy it in 50 gallon drums delivered??  Or pick it up somewhere local.

Is there not some funny laws about towing desiel Bowser's even empty??

If in wales you must have a bunded tank. In England there are still exemptions.

Personally the double skinned plastic tanks make no sense what so ever.

For the inner skin to be holed so will the outer. If the inner skin has failed you will never know so still have a single skinned tank & most likely the outer will go before the inner due to UV exposure.

Interesting thread ?

I have looked at some of the smaller plastic bundled tanks,  250 litres or so .

is it still the case that nowadays MGO has a shelf life of just a couple of weeks?

This is main reason I haven’t bothered setting up 1500 litre tank at home.

2 hours ago, Peasgood said:

As for manual pumps, it is what I have and quite happy with it. Hi-flow pump and does one litre for one revolution. Standard manual pumps are fine of course. The other option usually taken is put the tank on a stand and use gravity.

Be aware that some companies will not fill  your tank if they have to climb a ladder..

• Like 1