Jump to content
arboriculturist

Diversifying into milling to utilise oversize timber.

Recommended Posts

I have been thinking about this for several years now, following the forums, reading the posts and I am still undecided.

 

We get a quantity of timber delivered in the load that is not user friendly or just far to good to process into firewood. We can process up to 19" Dia. but some comes in larger and some with crooks, dog legs, burrs and misshapen etc. etc.

 

I know there are many that consider small bandsaw mills with small width blades like the Woodlands a bit of a toy. But others would disagree who have spent time milling with the smaller mills and learnt their limitations.

 

I have been looking at a Woodlands Mills HM 130 MAX Woodlander, with a cutting length of 5.1 m and 30 dia. petrol.

 

My main concern is marketing sawn live edge boards going to be a major hurdle? Some posts say yes and sell a lot direct to wholesalers other appear to think there is a strong market for the quaility hardwoods air dried.

 

I have unlimited space, rough terrain forklift with 2.5t lift capacity and 7.5tonne ex. with grab, so handling and stacking any size roundwood is straight forward.

 

Any advice, comments etc. would be gratefully received. ?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

I have been thinking about this for several years now, following the forums, reading the posts and I am still undecided.

 

We get a quantity of timber delivered in the load that is not user friendly or just far to good to process into firewood. We can process up to 19" Dia. but some comes in larger and some with crooks, dog legs, burrs and misshapen etc. etc.

 

I know there are many that consider small bandsaw mills with small width blades like the Woodlands a bit of a toy. But others would disagree who have spent time milling with the smaller mills and learnt their limitations.

 

I have been looking at a Woodlands Mills HM 130 MAX Woodlander, with a cutting length of 5.1 m and 30 dia. petrol.

 

My main concern is marketing sawn live edge boards going to be a major hurdle? Some posts say yes and sell a lot direct to wholesalers other appear to think there is a strong market for the quaility hardwoods air dried.

 

I have unlimited space, rough terrain forklift with 2.5t lift capacity and 7.5tonne ex. with grab, so handling and stacking any size roundwood is straight forward.

 

Any advice, comments etc. would be gratefully received. ?

 

 

Of course the most money is to be made by selling direct.  But you need to take into account the time it will take to deal with customers.  A small sale could take an hour or more.  You will spend many hours answering enquiries many of which will result in no sales.  How will customers view timber?  If in a stack they may want the boards near the bottom!

 

So the quickest and most efficient way is to sell wholesale to someone who retails timber.  But of course this will yield half the price or less.

 

Or find bulk purchase customers, but that may take years.

 

So yes there is money to be made, but just like a farmer growing carrots, it is usually simplest to sell them wholesale rather than find hundreds of customers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

I have been thinking about this for several years now, following the forums, reading the posts and I am still undecided.

 

We get a quantity of timber delivered in the load that is not user friendly or just far to good to process into firewood. We can process up to 19" Dia. but some comes in larger and some with crooks, dog legs, burrs and misshapen etc. etc.

 

I know there are many that consider small bandsaw mills with small width blades like the Woodlands a bit of a toy. But others would disagree who have spent time milling with the smaller mills and learnt their limitations.

 

I have been looking at a Woodlands Mills HM 130 MAX Woodlander, with a cutting length of 5.1 m and 30 dia. petrol.

 

My main concern is marketing sawn live edge boards going to be a major hurdle? Some posts say yes and sell a lot direct to wholesalers other appear to think there is a strong market for the quaility hardwoods air dried.

 

I have unlimited space, rough terrain forklift with 2.5t lift capacity and 7.5tonne ex. with grab, so handling and stacking any size roundwood is straight forward.

 

Any advice, comments etc. would be gratefully received. ?

 

 

Where about in the uk are you ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Of course the most money is to be made by selling direct.  But you need to take into account the time it will take to deal with customers.  A small sale could take an hour or more.  You will spend many hours answering enquiries many of which will result in no sales.  How will customers view timber?  If in a stack they may want the boards near the bottom!

 

So the quickest and most efficient way is to sell wholesale to someone who retails timber.  But of course this will yield half the price or less.

 

Or find bulk purchase customers, but that may take years.

 

So yes there is money to be made, but just like a farmer growing carrots, it is usually simplest to sell them wholesale rather than find hundreds of customers.

Good advice there and I appreciate you are one of the most pro-active sawn board retailers around.

The bonus I have is there is no collection of transport required - crane offload right to site.

 

Still unsure what thickness to mill at, as always less variables is good? Get a lot of Chestnut, Alder, Beech, Oak, Sycamore, Ash and Field Maple.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

I have been thinking about this for several years now, following the forums, reading the posts and I am still undecided.

 

We get a quantity of timber delivered in the load that is not user friendly or just far to good to process into firewood. We can process up to 19" Dia. but some comes in larger and some with crooks, dog legs, burrs and misshapen etc. etc.

 

I know there are many that consider small bandsaw mills with small width blades like the Woodlands a bit of a toy. But others would disagree who have spent time milling with the smaller mills and learnt their limitations.

 

I have been looking at a Woodlands Mills HM 130 MAX Woodlander, with a cutting length of 5.1 m and 30 dia. petrol.

 

My main concern is marketing sawn live edge boards going to be a major hurdle? Some posts say yes and sell a lot direct to wholesalers other appear to think there is a strong market for the quaility hardwoods air dried.

 

I have unlimited space, rough terrain forklift with 2.5t lift capacity and 7.5tonne ex. with grab, so handling and stacking any size roundwood is straight forward.

 

Any advice, comments etc. would be gratefully received. ?

 

 

Spoke to chris yesterday who is the woodlands main dealer for our south west region . 2 hours from you give or take but all motorway 

Edited by topchippyles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Good advice there and I appreciate you are one of the most pro-active sawn board retailers around.

The bonus I have is there is no collection of transport required - crane offload right to site.

 

Still unsure what thickness to mill at, as always less variables is good? Get a lot of Chestnut, Alder, Beech, Oak, Sycamore, Ash and Field Maple.

Whatever thicknesses you go for someone will want a thickness you don't have.  Best sellers will be 25 to 50mm probably, but maybe some large slabs should be thicker.  I do sometimes buy from other mills if you are not too far away.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.