Diversifying into milling to utilise oversize timber.

arboriculturist

30 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

It certainly would be a crime for such logs to be chopped for firewood.

Yes, got the various on bearers - waiting to bite the bullet ! Ah, is there a value in sealing log ends now if they are stood for some time, if so what is best? So many different opinions on sealing E. grain !

Edited by arboriculturist

12 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

2 Things that always sell well with not to much cutting involved and you can get up to 85 % out of each trunk. Waney edge cladding and beams 

Now I have used a lot of Waney Larch myself over time, totally agree. What use for Larch beams and what is a good cutting spec. if you don't mind me asking?

I have been thinking about this for several years now, following the forums, reading the posts and I am still undecided.

We get a quantity of timber delivered in the load that is not user friendly or just far to good to process into firewood. We can process up to 19" Dia. but some comes in larger and some with crooks, dog legs, burrs and misshapen etc. etc.

I know there are many that consider small bandsaw mills with small width blades like the Woodlands a bit of a toy. But others would disagree who have spent time milling with the smaller mills and learnt their limitations.

I have been looking at a Woodlands Mills HM 130 MAX Woodlander, with a cutting length of 5.1 m and 30 dia. petrol.

My main concern is marketing sawn live edge boards going to be a major hurdle? Some posts say yes and sell a lot direct to wholesalers other appear to think there is a strong market for the quaility hardwoods air dried.

I have unlimited space, rough terrain forklift with 2.5t lift capacity and 7.5tonne ex. with grab, so handling and stacking any size roundwood is straight forward.

Any advice, comments etc. would be gratefully received. [emoji2]

Interesting thread,
You have a wide range of raw materials.
The woodlands 130 is a good entry level bandsaw.
I'd reccomend some form of chainsaw mill fir the really big stuff.
Have a look at horizon panther mills of the logosol wide slabber.

Marketing your end product is often the biggest challenge. It's a job in itself.
I mainly sell wholesale, as it's so much less drama.
Also your wholesale clients will actually know what they are buying....
[emoji106]

29 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Now I have used a lot of Waney Larch myself over time, totally agree. What use for Larch beams and what is a good cutting spec. if you don't mind me asking?

No stick to the cladding with the larch. Beams will be the oaks and douglas fir (£) 

1 minute ago, topchippyles said:

Something got my lad into doing at the moment as have to start somewhere. Oak sign we knocked up this morning for a good mate. Notice whats propping it up ?

thumbnail.jpg.3a4da68821a1cb10446ad59a0aba5fa6.jpg

Brother bought a slate one same No. of letters - £100 ! surprising what people will pay for the right sign! Keep the boy at it 

• Haha 1

i bought recently a oak sign off internet,   21 letters if you count spaces - £240 delivered.     think was just tiny bit shy of 2ft long, 500mm high and inch thick - really stunning engraved letters with i guess a 45 degree chamfer edge into each letter painted black and really well sealed over top.  

would i buy again if i needed one - yep no worries, one of the nicest signs i have ever seen.

so theres definetly some money in signs

• Like 1