The Cooking Thread

AHPP

In restaurant parlance, "pan-fried" is as distinct an entity as deep-fried, stir-fried, and shallow-fried; and will be often be written as such to differentiate it from same. It also discourages customers from asking which one it is, by pre-empting the question. 

This also sets it apart from a technique called pan-roasting, which is itself a practice not identical to simply oven-roasting.

Details matter, to those who they matter to.

Edit: one might even wonder if the stuffed hake will be boiled, poached, steamed; or pan-steamed, maybe...

Edited by peds
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 19/05/2024 at 09:08, Mike Hill said:

Age them hanging for a while untill they are hard on the outside,wipe them dry first. Three days hanging from the racks in your fridge will do it.

Slice them crossways like a carrot into rings about 1.5 inches through.

Whoops, forgot to thank you for this at the time. Did pretty much this, some time in the fridge until a bit crusty, then trimmed and sliced. But I made them a lot fatter, around 2.5 to 3 inches, then gently hammered them out to 1.5ish with the testicle crusher.

Pan fried, basted continuously with garlic butter, allowed to cool to room temperature, then sliced and tossed around in their own juices.

Tacos, molé, salsa, pickled veg, guacamole, etc.

So unbelievably good. Tender as anything, rich flavour. 

20240616_160023.thumb.jpg.e523031fe1eb58ee8cf90bc25bd11d45.jpg

20240616_183126.thumb.jpg.3ac678ec693bb587fe536ff418f07ca6.jpg

20240616_195019.thumb.jpg.ce6822a0776ed2e4502946cce3844be8.jpg

Edited by peds
  • Like 5

I shall check on venison recipies/techniques  with Marcin, our recent Polish son in law, who often cooks the venison from the deer he has shot. 

BUT

He bees wile picky, keeping the younger/yearling animals for himself(and us), while flogging the older stuff to other less discriminating buyers.

Regardless it is superb eating, certainly not dry or tough, and I would rate it ahead of most any steak.

Ditto for the venison burgers and sausages.

• Thanks 1

I'd imagine it's the same as any animal, younger is better for roasting, older needs a bit more simmering, except for loins. One of the best meals I've ever had was half a 6 week old baby goat, just chopped into 3 pieces and thrown in a woodfired pizza oven until the edges of the bones were starting to blacken and char. It lived its short life in a shed next door to the restaurant, in a tiny village underneath the tallest mountain in the middle of Corsica. Phenomenal. 

But yeah, I'd eat venison again, I'm happy to do my bit in the fight against invasive species 👍

• Like 1

We could and should all be eating more venison, it would be a win/win result. The number of deer running riot all over the UK; we could almost take beef off the shelves entirely and replace it with lovely Bambi meat surely. (Most people wouldn't even know the difference anyway, unless the label told them it was made in the Venison Machine at the supermarket).

• Like 1