Covid-19

Ratman

Local cases peaked at about 1500 per 100k down here a few weeks back, now down to 100 odd.

Yes, lockdowns are a PITA, but they obviously work eventually.

An already stretched NHS (pre-pandemic), and a nation of fatties has bitten us properly in the arse.

What other countries are doing, are not doing, isn’t of any importance from what I can see.

Vaccination rollout is cracking on though, for those that want it, which I can only see as a good thing.

• Like 7

Just now, Rich Rule said:

That’s fair enough Andy, Stavanger is not Oslo.  But you know that Some in Oslo are protesting against the restrictions, closed gyms etc ?

Even NRK have been doing articles about the Norwegian Lockdown and it being the toughest of times since WWII.

So the picture you are painting isn’t entirely correct.  Yes it is less than the UK but it isn’t all business as usual.

You know they closed the Vinmonopolet and it lasted 3 days?  Basically the government loosing money was enough to reopen it, plus the complaints from the people ‘who needed wine and spirits’.  

Yet the gyms are closed, youth training and clubs have only just resumed as off today and adult training is not yet going ahead.

You can get pissed but you can’t go to a fitness centre or sports club.

So again the picture you are trying to paint maybe true for the area you work but certainly not for the Norwegian Capital.

Im not saying there is not restrictions, and Im not saying they are not tough here in Western Norway. What I am saying is that the restrictions in place here are far less draconian and still the virus, which is in Stavanger and Bergen is not getting exponentially out of hand. We're told masks are essential in shops. We're told that restaurants need to close to stop the spread, we're told that our ski centers need to close. (oh, and I checked with my mates, sirdal does not impose masks at their ski centers restaurants. :) ) But the cases here proves that the blanket measures in the UK are simply not necessary. 

Oslo has always had a much higher infection rate that the rest of Norway, is this due to the vastly greater differences in demographics? Im not entirely sure but it would offer a realistic explanation. But I feel you're kinda proving my point. That a blanket UK wide lock-down des not need to be the only solution to dealing with this crisis. Emulating Norway and allowing kommuners to make assessments as to what level of actions need to be implemented is by far a more logical and humane response. And good for Oslo in protesting the restrictions! 

I think Oslo re-opening the Vinmonopolet is a social measure and not a financial one. If you're gonna keep people cooped up in their homes at least let them have a glass of wine, as you know (and some here may not) you cant just add a bottle of wine or whisky to (the equivalent) your Tesco Home delivery order. (I  miss Helgø :D

50 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Yet the gyms are closed, youth training and clubs have only just resumed as off today and adult training is not yet going ahead.

In Rogaland as well? But again, my point and only claims has been that mask wearing is not required in the vast majority of Norway and there is a lot of cases of Covid here, but the fact people (outside of Oslo) can go about their lives in a vastly more relaxed way that the UK and the virus is not getting wildly out of hand proves that the measures in place in the UK are not necessarily needed and an overkill in the vast majority of places in the UK. 

53 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

So again the picture you are trying to paint maybe true for the area you work but certainly not for the Norwegian Capital.

Believe me, Id be very happy of the whole of the UK had a Norwegian response. Lock the Capitals down and allow the other regions to respond as required based on actual cases. I appreciate you taking the time to help prove my point. :)

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

and a nation of fatties has bitten us properly in the arse.

So yet again we're swinging back to people inadvertently admitting one of the main reasons we're in complete lock-down is to protect the health of those that refused to do so in normal times. Instead of them paying the price for thier gross personal negligence we all have to.

42 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Vaccination rollout is cracking on though, for those that want it, which I can only see as a good thing.

Yeh, seemed great till the government kept on moving the goal posts. After the third move we're currently told no significant lifting of restrictions til the over 50's have had not one but both jabs. Which looks like July. :D And fools will just nod their heads sagly and say these people know best. And we're only in February, we've 4-5 months to go for them to cook up another reason why over 50's is no longer enough. Even come July and this happens half the Mugs here will gleefully take it down like soup. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Im not saying there is not restrictions, and Im not saying they are not tough here in Western Norway. What I am saying is that the restrictions in place here are far less draconian and still the virus, which is in Stavanger and Bergen is not getting exponentially out of hand. We're told masks are essential in shops. We're told that restaurants need to close to stop the spread, we're told that our ski centers need to close. (oh, and I checked with my mates, sirdal does not impose masks at their ski centers restaurants. :) ) But the cases here proves that the blanket measures in the UK are simply not necessary. 

Oslo has always had a much higher infection rate that the rest of Norway, is this due to the vastly greater differences in demographics? Im not entirely sure but it would offer a realistic explanation. But I feel you're kinda proving my point. That a blanket UK wide lock-down des not need to be the only solution to dealing with this crisis. Emulating Norway and allowing kommuners to make assessments as to what level of actions need to be implemented is by far a more logical and humane response. And good for Oslo in protesting the restrictions! 

I think Oslo re-opening the Vinmonopolet is a social measure and not a financial one. If you're gonna keep people cooped up in their homes at least let them have a glass of wine, as you know (and some here may not) you cant just add a bottle of wine or whisky to (the equivalent) your Tesco Home delivery order. (I  miss Helgø :D

In Rogaland as well? But again, my point and only claims has been that mask wearing is not required in the vast majority of Norway and there is a lot of cases of Covid here, but the fact people (outside of Oslo) can go about their lives in a vastly more relaxed way that the UK and the virus is not getting wildly out of hand proves that the measures in place in the UK are not necessarily needed and an overkill in the vast majority of places in the UK. 

Believe me, Id be very happy of the whole of the UK had a Norwegian response. Lock the Capitals down and allow the other regions to respond as required based on actual cases. I appreciate you taking the time to help prove my point. :)

I wasn’t trying to help prove your point. I was trying to illustrate that the UK can’t really be compared to Norway.  Due to density of the population and the actual size of the centres of population.  

What works here wouldn’t necessarily work in an over populated UK.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

I wasn’t trying to help prove your point.

That was sarcasm. ;)

I was trying to illustrate that the UK can’t really be compared to Norway.

Well I think you failed, as it most certainly can be. You have not offered a single explanation to why the UK could not emulate Norways localised response. You've just stated that Oslo is under tighter restrictions, as as they have vastly greater infection and death rates thats justifiable and again, something that we could emulate here in the UK. I could still travel to Oslo tomorrow if I liked and vice versa. 

People from Oslo can also travel directly off-shore with no checks on Equinors installations. Either hop on a flight or drive over to the  west coast and not wear a mask. 

The Chopper I got home yesterday had 19 of us packed in like sardines and guess what? Yip, no masks.

If we where to listen to the advisors in the UK Norway should be chest deep in the dead. 

What works here wouldn’t necessarily work in an over populated UK.  

Thats a matter of opinion. Again, Stavanger, Tromsø and Bergen etc are not sparsely populated wastelands. They are cities and behave the same as any city in the UK. If your point of population density was taken into account then in Scotland and Wales we should see a significantly different response to Covid than we see in England. 

Yet again, there has not been a single valid response as to why the Virus that is present here in Norway does not spread in the Western Cities when Mask Wearing is optional and more often than not not worn, Restaurants remain again with no requirement for masks and  open ski centers remain open and people are generally being allowed to get on with their lives albeit with some restrictions. 

Edited by trigger_andy

5 minutes ago, woodwizzard said:

They won't stop the spread or contracting of the virus.

I know 2 people who caught after having the first Pfizer vaccine .  It was said that their symptoms would have been a lot more severe  had they not had the first part of the vaccine .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1