Anyone wanna recommend a 230V Pressure washer?

difflock

4 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I have a Nilfisk. Not top end model, think it was a shade over £200 . Anyway it keeps cutting out all the time- has done from new. Tried all sorts to stop it doing it but.....

Take the covers off so you can get at the water inlet, attach hose pipe to it and turn outside tap on to force water through the pump, while the tap is still running pull the trigger on the lance, reassemble and try it again, sounds like there could be and air leak, possibly on the in take side of the pump. Another thought, are you running it on a long extension lead?

16 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

That high head you have is some machine 100l/min is 22 gallons/min, that's some flow.

Yes, but not a huge amount of pressure (sorry if not clear). Much greater pressure than a normal water pump, but not a pressure washer. Kind of fire hose pressure- in fact, some are used for this and we use ours as first response mounted to an IBC in the back of a truck on scrub burn ups. It's a Japanese unit, and very good value IMHO. It was less faff to install than an electric washdown unit with the benefit of being forklift portable as one unit on an IBC- just gotta remember to take the drain plugs out when not in use in winter. I have it mounted halfway down the IBC so you turn a tap and it self primes. You can see the brass pressure relief valve I've added so that you can shut the nozzle off safely with the engine still running. Total cost around £700-£800 for all the bits, and it's probably saved that in labour in the first year washing down machines and yard. I wouldn't be without it. Yes, it uses a lot of water, but a cube is only a couple of quid, and there's no reason you couldn't run it on rainwater with a much bigger buffer tank. Again, cheaper than labour.

1169959233_2020-02-2910_33_46.thumb.jpg.3bde6c80784f8a3519ae43e2342103e5.jpg

11 hours ago, scbk said:

I bet a hot pressure washer would be a handy thing to have, must cut right through grease etc? Do they use much diesel for the heat?

In practice you're never washing on hot for hours on end. I might use 5l per month if doing a lot of repair work. Can't beat it for shifting grease. Diesel is cheaper than labour, and you can always run it on cold for most of your normal washing.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

I've used those Tsurumi pumps when the customers don't want to pay the price of a replacement Ebara, they work well, and they're a like for like swap. Yeah, I hear what you say about pressure , it's not unusual to get less pressure for more flow, or t'other way round. I presume the white pipe is the mains in, and there's a stopcock in the IBC?

Yes, ballcock inside IBC (tricky two man job to fit!) Takes less than ten minutes to empty and two hours to fill...

If I end up using it more I will run a dedicated 22mm feed, it's just teed off the 15mm at the moment.

Looking again at the pump specs, it says 210 lires/min, not 100. I'll have to get a stopwatch out next time I wash the yard down.

Edited by doobin

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

I've used those Tsurumi pumps when the customers don't want to pay the price of a replacement Ebara, they work well, and they're a like for like swap. Yeah, I hear what you say about pressure , it's not unusual to get less pressure for more flow, or t'other way round. I presume the white pipe is the mains in, and there's a stopcock in the IBC?

Not only is it not unusual, but kinda contrary tay the Laws o Physics per wor Engineer Scottie!

2 hours ago, doobin said:

Yes, but not a huge amount of pressure (sorry if not clear). Much greater pressure than a normal water pump, but not a pressure washer. Kind of fire hose pressure- in fact, some are used for this and we use ours as first response mounted to an IBC in the back of a truck on scrub burn ups. It's a Japanese unit, and very good value IMHO. It was less faff to install than an electric washdown unit with the benefit of being forklift portable as one unit on an IBC- just gotta remember to take the drain plugs out when not in use in winter. I have it mounted halfway down the IBC so you turn a tap and it self primes. You can see the brass pressure relief valve I've added so that you can shut the nozzle off safely with the engine still running. Total cost around £700-£800 for all the bits, and it's probably saved that in labour in the first year washing down machines and yard. I wouldn't be without it. Yes, it uses a lot of water, but a cube is only a couple of quid, and there's no reason you couldn't run it on rainwater with a much bigger buffer tank. Again, cheaper than labour.

1169959233_2020-02-2910_33_46.thumb.jpg.3bde6c80784f8a3519ae43e2342103e5.jpg

In practice you're never washing on hot for hours on end. I might use 5l per month if doing a lot of repair work. Can't beat it for shifting grease. Diesel is cheaper than labour, and you can always run it on cold for most of your normal washing.

Now for washing the yard down, this bes the biz!

And I got a big fire hose reel stashed away this 20 years

And a collection of(slightly rusty) 500gall steel tanks