Does anyone know if there is a qualification for band Sawmilling?

wisewood

It certainly makes sense to have some one to one training on the mill, paying someone to go through operating and maintenance. Just not sure if you'd need something more formal as a business in terms of insurance cover.

I've got milling insurance,
From arborisk,it's a free add on to my public and employers liability.
("It's safer than felling trees" if you're asked for a premium)
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

Bandsaw milling is easy, the hard part is having a knowledge of different timbers and how to cut them and the best way to cut to get the most from a trunk.

A one day course won't teach you those sort of skills that comes from years of practice.

Milling trees is as much about listening as it is about watching.

I hit milling from the opposite end to most people, I served a 4yr apprenticeship as a furniture maker and then had my own business for 20yrs making and repairing furniture before moving into milling which I've been doing now for 14yrs.

The knowledge and skills I gained with machinery and timber usage has set me up well for the milling business.

Edited by Forest2Furniture
  • Like 2

Bandsaw milling is easy, the hard part is having a knowledge of different timbers and how to cut them and the best way to cut to get the most from a trunk.
A one day course won't teach you those sort of skills that comes from years of practice.
Milling trees is as much about listening as it is about watching.

I hit milling from the opposite end to most people, I served a 4yr apprenticeship as a furniture maker and then had my own business for 20yrs making and repairing furniture before moving into milling which I've been doing now for 14yrs.
The knowledge and skills I gained with machinery and timber usage has set me up well for the milling business.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
This.
[emoji106]
Having tried to get employees to mill logs,....
As F2F says it's having many years experience with wood and grain,
that allow you to "see" inside.
Where to get the best cuts etc.
Especially when you only cut really expensive character logs.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I think you will find Stephen not worked for Wood-Mizer for the past 10 years.

You're correct, but I never actually said he still worked there! The last 10 years he's continued to operate his mill, amongst others, and sell Ripper37 blades alongside running a successful sharpening, servicing and training business. Well worth a chat with him.

Hi guys , I have been around wood my whole life my dad was a master carpenter so I learnt a lot from him ,but bandsaw milling is like most things it’s own thing ,like how to place the log on the mill ,,I have been having trouble when I get like half or two thirds through the log and need to drop the supports down then the log gets thinner but if you slide it over then the mill head will not go past it ,I know I am missing something easy but as it’s all new and learning as I go it’s frustrating but ace fun I love milling got some holly lined up next .

• Like 1

a one day course will only touch on the basic operations on the mill, the art of milling timber comes from years of actually doing it, learning how to read a piece of wood, how it will twist as its cut, how it will give the best usable yield, how to actually just move it around with the least effort, what tools work, what doesnt, ~Iwas thrown into the timber world at a very early age, both uncles were joiners, my father worked in the furniture industry, most of my early toys were made from wood.......I must admit ~I rebelled and became an engineer, but came back to my first love, milling timber, in the wood, is somewhat theraputic, whether its with an alaskan, a chainsaw mill, or the bandsaw, to see something emerging from a pile of sawn logs that you are going to build a usefull item with  is fufilling, thats why I am saying just get out there and do it, as long as its done safely, there isnt really a right or wrong way, only your way, and if it works for you, then thats the right way

• Like 4

a one day course will only touch on the basic operations on the mill, the art of milling timber comes from years of actually doing it, learning how to read a piece of wood, how it will twist as its cut, how it will give the best usable yield, how to actually just move it around with the least effort, what tools work, what doesnt, ~Iwas thrown into the timber world at a very early age, both uncles were joiners, my father worked in the furniture industry, most of my early toys were made from wood.......I must admit ~I rebelled and became an engineer, but came back to my first love, milling timber, in the wood, is somewhat theraputic, whether its with an alaskan, a chainsaw mill, or the bandsaw, to see something emerging from a pile of sawn logs that you are going to build a usefull item with  is fufilling, thats why I am saying just get out there and do it, as long as its done safely, there isnt really a right or wrong way, only your way, and if it works for you, then thats the right way

It’s just a hobby for me. But being able to mill my own timber and make something out of the finished project is very therapeutic for me too. :) this is the first Beech and Oak I milled, just finished for one of my wee ones. IMG_5981.jpg
  • Like 6