35cc upgrade, which 50cc Husky?

clv101

If it weren't for the all round glowing reviews and opinions of the 550XP II, I think I'd be happy with the 450 II. It would be a big step up from my 35cc Efco (2.4kW vs 1.65kW) and only 400g heavier.

What are the key advantages I'd notice going to the 3kW 550XP though? It's heavier still (+400g over the 450). Does the extra tech (autotune, adjustable oil pump, rev boost etc) translate into more to go wrong and lower reliability over the 450? Or is the whole thing just build to a higher quality with its stiffer magnesium crank case?

The £140 difference buys a lot of Aspen, oil and another chain!

• Like 1

That’s a decision you’ll have to make for yourself.

Would you derive any pleasure from using a saw and every time you think to yourself ”this saw is absolutely brilliant!”?

Or would you be happy chugging away thinking about that £140 you saved three years ago?

Depends what sort of person you are.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 4

On 28/01/2020 at 00:56, huskykev said:

Buy an Echo 501sx and run it on Aspen, 5 year domestic warranty, Japanese build quality and a Tsumara bar.

yep they are a good saw and lovely to handle as i bought a new one before christmas, BUT they are nowhere near as good as a Husky 550XP.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2020 at 20:18, clv101 said:

Is it fair to say the 450 II is a simpler and therefore more reliable saw than the 550XP II for occasional, smallholder use where a month or two might go by without use? Or is the 550XP more robust as well as being more powerful?

i highly rate the Husky 450 X Torq as i used the MK1 version quite a lot and was super impressed by it.  Some people are put off by it's looks and the fact it does not have an 'XP' badge.  I'd be inclined to run one on a 15 inch bar though.

Mt go to saw is my 450e which is used regularly and had it for at least 8 years. Simple to maintain and nice balance. Used in our 52ha woodland and felled hundreds of spruce and elm over the years a great simple reliable saw much better than stihl 026 and 251 which are my backup saws.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, clv101 said:

If it weren't for the all round glowing reviews and opinions of the 550XP II, I think I'd be happy with the 450 II. It would be a big step up from my 35cc Efco (2.4kW vs 1.65kW) and only 400g heavier.

What are the key advantages I'd notice going to the 3kW 550XP though? It's heavier still (+400g over the 450). Does the extra tech (autotune, adjustable oil pump, rev boost etc) translate into more to go wrong and lower reliability over the 450? Or is the whole thing just build to a higher quality with its stiffer magnesium crank case?

The £140 difference buys a lot of Aspen, oil and another chain!

As I understand it, the 550 is the professional saw, the 450 is the landowner saw so kind of semi-pro. The build qualities will reflect this as does the price.

The 550 has the magnesium two piece crankcase with the cylinder bolted on top, the 450 is the clamshell crankcase, so is built stronger as you said.

The autotune on the 550 will monitor the engine speeds and adjust the fuel mix constantly, so you will never have to worry about tuning it yourself and it'll deal with changes in fuel, temperature and altitude for you.

A lot of people complain about modern saws not lasting as long as the previous generations, but things like the 550 have been designed to run on as little fuel as possible which in turn reduces the oil available for lubrication, hence it is really important to use good quality oil. As someone cutting firewood, the 550 will probably see the equivalent of a couple of days worth of professional use every year, so should last forever.

• Like 1