Our industry

Amelanchier

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, my take on the last couple of posts is, the standard of living has improved over the last 50 years. In the past, people would curse the tree that blocked the light in their garden or cut it down themselves. Nowadays, they can afford to get us in and have the tree pruned/removed professionally.

Getting back to the original question on this thread... the industry will never be rated as highly as others because, despite the skills, experience and qualifications we have, we get our hands dirty......and that's what labourers do!

Hi tony.

I respect you, always have. I owe you, as you suported me in my time of need. Of all the people on arbtalk, I do not want to make an enemy of you.

Have I derailed your thread – yes

Have I been a bit flippant on your thread – yes

So I’m sorry for that, but where are we going with this, what do you want to hear?

I’m a grubby tree lopper of nigh on 20 yrs a loppin and I didn’t start till I was 30 odd. I can do wordy if you want and I hold a BSc as you know, but it comes down to what I said …. clean hands paid more … the user name of another arbtalker.

I spent half my life overseas and I’ve seen the english class system from the outside, maybe you should take a look.:001_smile:

Getting back to the original question on this thread... the industry will never be rated as highly as others because, despite the skills, experience and qualifications we have, we get our hands dirty......and that's what labourers do!

Not all of us get our hands dirty. That's the point I was making earlier. To say someone is an arb tells us very little about what they do.

Tree officer, consultant, surveyor, expert witness, works manager, office manager, admin assistant - all people who generally don't get their hands dirty but who still work in arb.

• 3 years later...
Having just read all of this thread, I wonder three years on if we've gained any ground?

A recent assignment was to explain to a government representative why arboriculturists should be involved in strategy development. I wish I'd read this before submitting it:001_rolleyes:

You mean the thread wasn't on the mandatory reading list?!

Have we got any further...not as far as I can tell.