Our industry

Amelanchier

Going back to a point Rupe and a few others have made, about the importance of US ect, and someone else saying that this is the distinction between a tree surgeon and an Arboriculturist.

Thats given me a lot to stew over for a few days! lol

And i think its a good point, one thats made me realise i am more of an ecologist/environmentalist than i realised.

maybe I have been looking at my career and my goals and interests the wrong way round, and have maybe not wasted my time, but been banging my head against the wrong industry wall!

is it time I left the arb industry for more serious ventures, more significant and worthwhile issues?

I love trees, but I also love the life that evolved around them, so i guess thats part of my fustrations, that i am barking up the wrong tree, cos this industry is about trees, and nothing more.

I dunno?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My view is that urban trees won't solve the problems of the world, but they do help, and are also nice to look at.

Very true.

The first bit that I deleted was a bit complicated for me, even though I started it!! Bu the last comment is spot on, they are nice to look at and our industry revolves around that, good tree surgeons/arbs make trees nice to look AND live with.

Hama, I've not met you but I from what I know of you on here I would certainly say that you seem a bit wasted as a tree cutter.

But at the end you say this industry is about trees and nothing more, but I think its less about tree than that even. Its about people and trees, but people are payign the bills so its about people really, and what they want (or don't want) from their trees.

The only difference IMO between an Arborist and a tree surgeon is that an ARB will take the tree into account when working for a person, the tree surgoen will tend to just take the person into account i.e. the money!

But most Arbs spend some if not all of there time working for people who really just need a tree surgeon. When dismantling stuff, I am not an arb, I'm just a cutter, with skills (oh, no semi skilled) that the client requires to perform a task.

Its very rare, (I mentioned only 2 customers earlier) that my customers say "you do what you think is best Rupe" In those cases I feel like an Arb, but mostly I'm just a simple tree cutter. I don't like the term tree surgeon anyway as its non sensical.

Hama, I've not met you but I from what I know of you on here I would certainly say that you seem a bit wasted as a tree cutter.

Do you know what, Im actualy in the proscess of getting my handlers liceances for several species, so I am going to go down the Phase 1-2 survey routes, do some ecology and keep up with the Arb stuff as and when needs be.

Ive got to drop out the degree arb, (finances) but if i get caught up and straight im certain i would get more out of and try harder at an ecology degree or Bhc.

This site ( and all of its members) has helped me realise that I may well have been looking at my place from all the wrong angles.:001_cool:

Do you know what, Im actualy in the proscess of getting my handlers liceances for several species, so I am going to go down the Phase 1-2 survey routes, do some ecology and keep up with the Arb stuff as and when needs be.

Ive got to drop out the degree arb, (finances) but if i get caught up and straight im certain i would get more out of and try harder at an ecology degree or Bhc.

This site ( and all of its members) has helped me realise that I may well have been looking at my place from all the wrong angles.:001_cool:

So…........ Basically, you hate us all and think we are just lumberjacks. Haha. Only joking mate. Your obvious knowledge and passion is I believe wasted cut wood but certainly not wasted on trees. You better still come on here and educate us from time to time. Lol

So…........ Basically, you hate us all and think we are just lumberjacks. Haha. Only joking mate. Your obvious knowledge and passion is I believe wasted cut wood but certainly not wasted on trees. You better still come on here and educate us from time to time. Lol

lol, cheers mate.

and dont wory, i didnt spend 23 years of my life sweating my nads of as a climber to give up on arb completely, just shifting the focus abit, so its more ecology/arb, rather than arb/ecology:001_smile:

lol, cheers mate.

and dont wory, i didnt spend 23 years of my life sweating my nads of as a climber to give up on arb completely, just shifting the focus abit, so its more ecology/arb, rather than arb/ecology:001_smile:

Look forward to hearing about the results of the change in focus over the next few years mate. :thumbup:

Maybe you can do both!

Having phase 1 and arb survey skills is worth a lot of money to the right people.

Remind me, when's your foray, and are there any spaces left?

:001_smile: