Digger post knocker

donnk

1 hour ago, woody paul said:

Digger weight of 2.7t plus knocker weight of 350kg will put you over weight on trailer so will need truck with load carrying capacity as well. 

Yeah that is a problem- but then I usually do a seperate trip for materials anyway/another vehicle and the protech P18 digger model doesn’t take much room up in a trailer when it’s lying flat so used to just come with the materials. I also have a 1.7t digger and knocker which I can fit on the trailer plus a ton of materials in the landy pickup so good setup for little 1 day type jobs

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

I assume on your own these are not accurate in getting them dead upright?

Yeah always on my own. You develope a technique as with everything. Here is a fence I did on my own. I hang  a plumb line of the  post so I can see it from the cab and in both directions. Get out move the plumb to the next post and on it goes- think Il do a steady 25-30 posts an hour on my own if the grounds fairly good, which equates to about 100m of fencing...

DD16E8F6-FF05-46B8-A05E-FBB95795B049.jpeg

A018A9EA-8F93-4EF7-B5EE-AE8EB84C947D.jpeg

• Like 3

How do you see the plumb line in both directions Matt? I can tell plumb left to right from the digger no bother, but have to get out and check before the last few hits to make sure of the other way if I'm on my own. Luckily backwards and forwards you can sort easily on the last few hits.

Well I have hang the line in the middle of the post- a simple choke system. Then side to side movement is obvious to see, I find I can see in the other way pretty good as well, ie when the weight is just touching the post it’s level - if the weight starts to bounce off the post with each hit then pull it towards you. Lift the knocker of the post, get out and move line to next post and at the same time check the post you’ve just done is inline, it usually is but easy to just tweak it before moving the digger to the next post.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, youngsbury said:

Love mine sits on a 5.7 ton digger though ! Will drive a 8” strainer no problem ! I put a chain hanging from the cradle gives me an eye for straightness and depth ( works pretty good ) 

What size is the cup on that machine- I’m after a setup for my 5.5t Kubota. I don’t think the Vibrating has quite as much smack as drop weight versions- but can see plenty advantages to you setup too. I’m on Dartmoor and ground can be hellish, so not sure a vibrating one would be able to put in gateposts etc. The Kubota can handle a ton at full stretch so would be a force to be reckoned with if I had a drop weight with 300kg hammer on but I need to modify the hydraulics which I wouldn’t need to do if I got a vibrating one... 

That cup is 7” from memory but can be made any size to your spec ! I just shave the post if to big to fit over post I’ll dig out the paperwork tomorrow and put on here who supplied the set up ! Its an atlas Copco breaker which can be used either in breaker mode ie mounted on top of breaker which is good if really hard ground as you can pre drill !  or in post mode then mounted on side it’s certainly got some kick to it. The shepherd who rents the land on the park brought up his tractor / post knocker who make a compound and his big knocker wouldn’t drive posts in !  I Did it with the digger no problems he was so impressed he brought one to fit on his digger ( he’s got a 2000acre farm ) Robin 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1