long or short gaffs ???

combined tree services

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used the short ones before i got my own and got long ones for my own set and for some reason i prefer them heaps to the short ones, what would you reckon the advantages are to the short. i can see you would have a better connection to the wood as you would be minus the distance of the longer spike. i normally find spiking threads boring but i like this one nice work.

I have 3 sets of spurs, both my long points and my Old growth spikes get used very rarely. The last decade I am using my short points. It has to be very thick bark or large patches of poor wood to make me use the "knee torque kit".

I have both sets of spurs. I hardly ever break out the long shanks, but when I do it's cuz I needed them!!!

This is right. Not many of us would show up to a job with just one saw and a kit that couldn't handle variety. They make two sizes of spurs for a reason. If you need the long ones, they will make your work easier.

give it a few more pages:001_smile:

ive never actually tried long gaffs. i'd assume that it would put more strain on the knees though?

The length of spur shouldn't increase the knee torque. In fact, if the tree is large enough to require long spurs, you will have less toe out and, therefore, better knee angle in the large diameter wood.

I fear good spur work is a dying art. We are all so proud of our rope techniques but when it comes to spur work, it is just slap on a pair of whatever is available and go for it. There is more to it than that.

Dave