stopping your saw hitting the ground?

Stihlwatersrundeep

I pay about £1800 for 5mil PL and 10mil EL this is for me and 2 qualified employees, expensive?

When i get big jobs like site clearence i team up with my mates team, he has a similar setup to me, this works really well.

I pay £4000, that covers us for anything - including utilities.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats horrendous i hope you makes lots of money.

See being small at the mo so is my overheads when i get bigger have all that crap to look forward to.

:wave:

It's not all bad because you're turning over more money, works out just the same as one man paying £500 for his own PL.

I am 43 so not a 20yr old with no common sense. (not that all 20yr olds have no common sense but you get my meaning)

would love to get into tree work but the way i have been advised is the same old story, a ticket is no good without experience and experience is no good without a ticket?? (devil and the deep blue sea come to mind)

just looking at a chainsaw and a tree will kill you.

I am a practical guy, built extensions, worked on farms with machinery etc...

I get the feeling that unless you are already experienced in tree work you are not in the club so to speak. people have to start somewhere. I have valued your advice but have come away feeling that this is some sort of exclusive club that no one is allowed to join unless you know what your are talking about. no time for newbies or people asking questions about which they know nothing about.

If I was going to tackle dismantling a collection of windthrown trees, I would make sure that I fully understood, both practically and theroetically, the dynamics of compression and tension, in wood, from every conceivable angle, and know it verbatim without having to think about it for a second.

Then, I would consider carefully the site, from a wide angle, try and see the story or pattern of the windthrow; zooming in until I was touching the trees, looking closely at rootplates, fractures, leans, massive energy waiting to explode with a force strong enough to kill a man instantly, trap him painfully, or sever limbs in a split second.

Once satisfied I was compentant to dismantle this puzzle, I would plan my movements, assisted by my thorough understanding of practicle physics, armed with knowing all about forces, masses, fulcrums, leverage, pivots, stored energy... the world of practical physics hardwired into my head.

Then I would organise all the kit required, make sure the chains were sticky sharp, that I had saws full of oil and two stroke. Drop zones in order, spot on with boring, cool for kickbacksyou name it- ready to go. A strategic plan, as familiar as the back of my hand,yes indeed. Including plan B.B for back up, in case it goes tits up.

Then I would have a chat with Creator, acknowledge this example of the power and magnitude, a result of Nature tossing her head; and ask, respectfully, to undo this knot, safely and with care, for trees I do love, and Nature is the beatuiful one, so how can one resist offering to comb her tangles?

Upon making the first cut (long in the deciding- back in the formulating a plan stage) and nothing unexpected happening, with the fire of an arborist in my veins, I would be grateful and dance the dance.

Only when I had completely finished, and was at home snuggling up to a cup of coffee, would I think quietly to myself, 'who's your mamma!'

The crux? If you are going to do it, do it like you mean to, and do not underestimate your enemy (to be dramatic), nor the potential for harm to yourself and any others present.

If you do undertake the challenge tempting you, or chance at a bargain, and you manage to pull it off sucessfully, and split it for use in your fireplace, store it whislt it dries, and finally warm yourself and your family with the woods, you will love that wood, its smell, its light, because you will have worked your arse off for it.

Of course, I would endeavour to talk my self out of actually doing it. If I (in all honesty) knew nothing, or even a little, about trees, or working with trees I would not undertake dismantling a wind throw, would not even consider it as a possiblility; even in an emergency situation, not unless I knew exactly what I was doing. Even then all manner of unwanted things can and do happen.

There are no such things as shortcuts, and many a bargain is a costly bargain in hindsight.

That is all I have to say about that. ;)

Should have mentioned £1800 is for EL and PL only tools and equipment are separate.

Worth noting, if you insure a tractor on its own policy your chipper can be insured on that policy as an implement and is therefore covered in any location even if not attached to any vehicle.