Job market- central scotland

Centralscot

Why avoid forestry?

Its good experience, you will become a good cutter. Its generally away from the public.

Its brutal on saws and your body. You use a lot of fuel etc, pay not that good. Midges. 

Need we go on?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You seem to have a very good attitude Centralscot, and that can take you a long way.

The problem is often money.

It takes a while to be worth decent money in arb, or forestry.

I’ve had loads of guys in IT or whatever on £40k+ saying they are prepared to drop £5k to get a start.

When I tell them they will be dropping £20k the reality dawns.

Bills are bills.

Make sure you do the maths.

Not being negative here mate, just pragmatic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

You seem to have a very good attitude Centralscot, and that can take you a long way.

The problem is often money.

It takes a while to be worth decent money in arb, or forestry.

I’ve had loads of guys in IT or whatever on £40k+ saying they are prepared to drop £5k to get a start.

When I tell them they will be dropping £20k the reality dawns.

Bills are bills.

Make sure you do the maths.

Not being negative here mate, just pragmatic.

Mark Bolam. Thanks for the feedback. 

Yes, and unfortunately I am totally one of those guys.  I currently make a good living, but I’m in the odd position where something I am really good at isn’t something that I am enjoying so much anymore.  And the thought of committing another 20 years career to it isn’t very satisfying. 

I’m not so worried short term being on smaller wages. My bigger concern is the sort of time frame to be getting up the ladder and on to fair wages/ day rates.  

I learn fast.   And I work hard.  If I can progress on to a better wage around the 12 month mark it’s very manageable.  If it would take 2 years that would be much harder to manage. As you say, bills are bills and I have a family at home. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Centralscot said:

I learn fast.   And I work hard.  If I can progress on to a better wage around the 12 month mark it’s very manageable.  If it would take 2 years that would be much harder to manage. As you say, bills are bills and I have a family at home. 

From my experience in arb 2 years is not a long time. It might be different in forestry but climbers normally (there are some exceptions) need 4-7 years.

Ask your dad.

I would guess he would advise against it.  Ruined body, crap money, kit getting knocked all the time, everyone undercutting the opposition and as a result bringing the industry down.

There can be good money to be earned but IME it will take you around 7-10 years to get to that level...  no matter how quick you can learn.  By that point you will be pushing 40 and the general aches and pains will start to kick in, as will the younger boys doing the job cheaper.

Again not trying to put you off, just being a realist.  The arb industry is in a lot better position in other countries, but the fact is it can be bloody hard work and will definitely test your mettle when it is blowing a gale and you are trying not to get blown off the tree.  

Give it a go...  what have you got to lose?  Try and find some work part time or volunteer with a local firm.  Has your old man got any contacts you could get in touch with?

Whats the worst that can happen, if it isn't for you then go back to what you were doing.

Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are naturally very good at climbing and fearless then it’s easy!  Just monkey up and cut it down!  That’s all I’ve ever had in my head, as far as tree knowledge, waste of time! Focus on pull ups and dips,  It’s Scotland, no such thing as arborists, it’s climbers and grounders and good climbers do takedowns, learn how wood works under the saw, every cut tells you a different story, if you can stick it 1 year, no days off, no pub, no holidays just graft then you should make it.

You need to be in the gym 5 nights a week after work and that’s you working minimum 12 hours a day!  You are over 30 so it’s going to hurt in the morning, you will need a good Ostiopath, good sports massager and painkillers.

If you want to be Mr Ninja Climber and TOP of your game and somehow manage it,  nobody will know, there’s no badge or trophy’s, just a bank balance that’s either full or empty.

To become a good climber you need to do big trees, you need to find out who does the big trees and get a job with them, so a big company where you will just be a guy who sits in a cab with other guys who hate their job and won’t even blink at the thought of an 80’ dead elm removal on a railway in the dark!

There’s no montage music when you are tripping over your gaffs falling head first into brambles and dragging your rope through dog shite before you even start getting off the ground plus you will be doing it in water proofs over ballistics 9 days out of 10 in the central belt after taking 2 hours to get anywhere and same again at night trying to get back to the yard to unload before heading home in further traffic then home soaked to then dry your ropes and harness out before the morning.

Charge on and just do it is my way of thinking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1